Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What I Have Learned This Week: Its Not About Me

I learned this week that opportunity isn't about a title, a job, or a pat on the back. 


It isn't knowing the right the person, or saying the right thing.  It isn't the right make-up, it isn't the right clothes. It isn't in the dollars in my bank account or the diamond on my finger. 

Opportunity isn't in what I look like, what I sound like, or what I may do. It isn't the size of my house, or the car I drive.

Opportunity isn't a contest. It isn't the number of friends on my side bar; it isn't the ability to reciprocate.

Opportunity comes from being who I am-- and being available to those who come along the path. 

Its not being ashamed to feel: to cry or throw my head back in joy. 

Its about sharing my life, and letting it loudly proclaim that I didn't do it alone. Nor will I walk in this day unattended.

I am learning that while I was busy plodding through mud and wondering how to make it look tidy, God has taken my ashes and turned it into a crown of beauty. 

In my heart and in my life. 

And while I was looking for opportunities to prove I am worthy of those things, God's opportunities have been laid before me...

In an email.

Over a cup a coffee.

On the phone.

In a store.

At my desk.

On a bike ride.

Opportunities that surprise and humble me; and make me want to rejoice and hide. I worry about failing when called.

Hearing a whisper of the One who says, "Kellie, seek Me first, and you'll be ready in season and out. "

That is opportunity.

Oh, that I might not miss those opportunities when they come...

And who knows but that you have come to (this place) for such a time as this?

Esther 4:14

To see what others have learned this week, head on over to Musings of a Housewife.


16 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

Some of the moments in which I feel the Lord has worked in the most mighty way have occurred when I had the least idea that He was using me.

It is humbling and oh so instructive to be reminded that He works His own plan in His own time, to His own glory.

Michele said...

Kellie . .. thank you so very much for your encouraging words. It is almost as if all of those very same words were stored up in my very own heart, yet I just couldn't process them enough through my mind to get them out on paper. I think I may have to print this post of yours and stick it on my refrigerator. Thank you my friend!

Anonymous said...

I love the book of Esther. Not once in that book is God mentioned and yet He saturates every verse. Kind of like your post says -- He's found when and were we least expect whether we're ready or not.

Reminds me of John Lennon's famous words: "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."

Allison said...

What a great post! Thanks for the reminder that He is our purpose and He has a plan for all of us!

Gretchen said...

Kellie, every drop of this is beautiful and speaks so into my heart.

Well done.

Anonymous said...

Well said Kellie! Such a great lesson to learn and relearn :-)

Lori said...

Beautiful post! Like a sermon that seems to be directed only at you, this post totally speaks to me. :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, so you touched my heart!!! Simply beautiful!

Thanks for being my friend (and sister in Christ) =)

Musings of a Housewife said...

You always have such deep thought-provoking posts. I love your lessons this week! I needed that reminder. :-)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful and encouraging post.

Thanks :)

Emily said...

I love this post. Thanks for the great reminder. I've had a couple of those "Ah-ha" moments of my own. You might enjoy reading this post on my blog. Yours reminded me of it. =)

http://life-artist-48.blogspot.com/2008/09/my-new-job-title.html

Alison said...

This is just beautiful. Thank you.

Rae said...

Kellie, thank you for these amazing thoughts!!! You are an inspiration to me and I thank the Lord for your amazing insight!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

That was a good word, friend. Thank you.

The Buntens said...

Great post, Kellie.
I can relate very much to opportunity being who I am, available to those along my path and not being ashamed to feel. God has been giving me much opportunity in those areas.

Amy and her little family said...

That was beautiful Kellie! Thank you for that!