Tuesday, March 10, 2009

10 on 10


One of my favorite bloggers (and someone I consider a dear friend) is hosting a carnival today. 

Here are ten of my most favorite things i found in my yard just this morning. Spring in NC is simply amazing. And its only just begun!
1. The Daffodils are the first things to pop out of the cold hard ground!  
2. Even the weeds are beautiful!
3. I have no idea what these sweet purple things are. They grow along the ground. They are so unassuming you could miss them.
4. I think this is a pear tree (the one that doesn't produce fruit). When I woke up this morning these delicate white flowers were shining in the full glory of the sun.
5. This is the picture of the tiny new cherry blossom tree our neighbor planted. This morning I didn't want to walk through her yard in my PJ's (hence the fuzzy picture taken through the zoom), but I hope to get a better picture later.
6. This is my garden. Well, this will be my garden in a few weeks. Right now those seedlings are tomato plants. The rest are seeds that haven't popped up yet: cucumber, sweet pea, mesculin, and spinach. 
7. This is the herb garden I am attempting to harvest. Meet Basil, Basil, and his brother Basil. Aren't they sweet?
8. This is some sort of huge plant that is budding in our front yard. I cannot WAIT to see what it is!
9. The kids say this is Foxglove. It reminds me a little bit of the Blue Bonnets in Texas! 
10. This the what I have waited for all winter. The Camellia. She is covered with buds that are about to open. I love everything about her: her large, deep green and waxy leaves. Her beautiful and romantic name. Her majestic pink color and her yellow middle parts. Beautiful.

Thanks Mer, for hosting this fun carnival. To see what other 10 for 10 posts are flying around the net, click here!

La Vida Dulce!

22 comments:

Charity said...

Beautiful!!
I love spring too :-)

Carpool Queen said...

#3 is Vinca, and I have it growing under my pink camellia
#8 is rhododendron, and I don't have that at my house, sniff, sniff....

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Love this post, Kellie, but so jealous of your spring. It snowed here this morning (thankfully stopped and the sun is shining, but it's COLD!) I needed a peek at spring.

Amber said...

I've been stalking your blog via Mer for awhile.

Love your list. Our circle drive is lined with Bradford Pear trees, and they are SO pretty right now.

Gotta love this time of year in the South!!

Gretchen said...

Kellie, I just really want to compliment you on the uplifting tone of your blog. Lurve your sense of humor, and it's just also plain to see that you live in an atmosphere of gratitude and wonder at each day's events.

Great list. The daffodils are my faves, and I'm not sure, but I was always told that the purple flower was a grape hyacinth. But believe me. I know nothing about plants. I just like them to a)live and b) look pretty.

Tiffani said...

Oh how I wish I knew of such things!! I LOVE taking in the beauty of spring but don't have much of a green thumb myself...

Now, back in the day, I ALWAYS tended the garden with my grandfather..so, I it's IN me...just gotta find it!

BEAUTIFUL PICS and signs of great things to come!

Anonymous said...

All that blooming stuff makes me kind of sad to be stuck in Az. Yes, yes, we both know the desert blooms as well. It's just not the same though. Enjoy your spring blossoms!

Carrie and Jim said...

SO pretty, I am looking forward to spring as well! Flowers are just some small reminders of the beauty of God.

Jackie said...

Breathtaking! I love all of these delicate spring flowers.

Vincas are a fave of mine since they tolerate the SW heat so well with not much care - my kind of flower.

Those daffodils just scream spring - so lovely.

Anonymous said...

o such beautiful spring you have there! Loving it! Def. like the 10 on 10 carnival :-)

Christen said...

#9 is grape hyacinth. love all your seedlings! i'm so anxious to start mine but have been holding myself back, i think i'll wait one more week and that's it! lol

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

I love spring. We're not quite there yet in my neck of the woods but it's coming soon!

Unknown said...

Lovely pics full of the beauties of spring.

meh said...

Thanks for the peek at Spring. Still waiting...

jen said...

Mmmm - great pics. Just today I told my kiddos that I fully intend to plant some daffodils this fall! Yay! So far all we have here is crocus!

I agree that you have vinca, rhododendron, and grape hyacinth on your hands - all great!

Lisa said...

Looks like you are so ready for spring!

Do you miss the weather out west at all? It seems like the East fits you.;-)

Rae said...

I love all of your wonderful pictures! Your garden plants are making me weak in the knees. Can't wait to start planting!!

Allison said...

Those pictures are beautiful! My Me-maw always had tomato plants. And that Camellia is gorgeous!

Happy Spring!

Lori said...

This is a great carnival idea, I'll have to play along sometime. :) We've got a mini-garden growing indoors as well. My husband planted several Thai basil plants... I'm hoping it tastes good because I have no idea what to do with it. :) Good luck with your garden!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I'm a little jealous. My thumbs are way more black than green -- as in the color of death. :) I so would love to be a gardener. Maybe someday.

Oh, and we have foxglove (if that's what it's called) in our yard too. They pop up randomly wherever, but eventually grow into a whole little colony.

The Buntens said...

Oh, my camellia is white and blooming too!

Beautiful!
I can't wait to see what that thing getting ready to bloom is. Looks interesting.

Where do you keep all of your seedlings? I don't think I have the room.

Michele said...

Spring is beautiful in the South! Great pictures!