Friday, March 27, 2009

Meeting CPQ


I knew three things would be true about the Carpoolqueen without benefit of speaking to her face face:


  • Although she writes with great humor and friendly sarcasm, I had a hunch she also had great depth.


  • I knew we would laugh, and have ease of conversation.


  • I knew she would be generous...I was certain she would bring a gift. 


I had anticipated this meeting all week and I was trying, with a great deal of effort, to play it cool. There is something about meeting somebody from the Internet, that say’s “be cool”. 


You never know what a blogger might have in her lovely, green, leather handbag.


As we dined on my favorite Asian cuisine (I always order the same thing, she never gets the same thing twice), we immediately set into rich conversation. We sort of by-passed the niceties and went for the gold. 


We talked about our kids and our husbands; Our churches, our friends, and of course our lives on the blogs.


We would flip from topic to topic without fully finishing each course; getting serious, lightening up.


Eventually we moved from the restaurant to the coffee house. 


The rain poured while we sipped our lattes. She sat leaned back in her chair with great ease. I fidgeted and sat at the edge of my seat, leaning in on the table. 


So different we are. And yet a lot alike.


I liked that. 


Two and a half hours later they were shutting us down.


What is there to tell you about CPQ?


She is adaptive and amenable.


I was a bit worried because I often have periods of time when I am burdened with thoughts that swirl in my head. By nature I am a deep thinker, never more so than when I have these contemplative times.


I’m on the tail end of one of those stages right now, and last night I was easily distracted. I left feeling like I wished I had talked less and listened more, especially when I would literally forget what I was saying in the middle of a sentence. CPQ in her calm, flexibility, seemed to take my flighty brain all in stride. She even remembered what I was talking about so I could finish a sentence.


She’s smart. Not just book smart, but life smart.


She loves the Lord, and desires to live authentically for Him. 


She is funny. I laughed with her as she teased me over brown rice and non-fat lattes. I love the camaraderie of friendly teasers. 


She is personable. We met an eclectic group of knitters having some girl time over yarn and coffee. CPQ immediately engaged them about octopus legs and meeting times, all with friendly ease.


She’s the real deal. Someone I am so grateful to have the chance to meet and to get to know better. Someone I am happy to call Amiga (she’s also bilingual).


And I am not just saying these things because she brought me a present: 


This is a cheesy picture of me and my new stash of Tim Horton’s Coffee. I drank a half a pot of this delicious draft and will say, I’m actually sorry she’s generous. Because now I am going to have to get me a secret Horton Hook-up, to supply my caffeine needs. 


There are a thousand other things I could say, like how we were giddy with excitement as Mer and Gretchen tweeted and emailed from the other side of the nation.  Or about the sweet college girls that helped us take really good pictures, in really bad lighting. And how they made us roll our eyes  laugh with their youthful lists of lingerie. Or about the lady who wore a hat with three-corners…but I need to wrap up this post because I am dying to know what CPQ wrote about this night


So, CPQ, it was so fun to meet you IRL. Can't wait to do it again soon.


La Vida Dulce!

12 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Awww! I loved your post, Kellie. Loved that you guys got an opportunity to meet and become friends.

And I *always* get lemon pepper chicken at Pei Wei. Always.

I hope to blog about my MIRL when I get back...hopefully tomorrow!

Tiffani said...

WOW. Sounds like such a special time for you two ladies.

I knew it would be. And, I also agree with how you complemented one another in personality. That adds great depth to friendship.

I think it's awesome that you are practically neighbors!! More fun to come, I'm sure!

Carpool Queen said...

I'm typing this as I sit in the torture seat at the pedicure place. And trying not to laugh so she doesn't smear my Japanese Rose Garden. Thanks for saying those very nice things. And we'll get together soon and finish up those half-started conversations. And start 20 more.

And Ebay, baby, to get the Tim Horton Crack Coffee.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a great time Kellie! CPQ sounds like a really amazing woman :-)

Gretchen said...

Oh...I'm merely 120 mile from Canada...hmmm...Christmas shopping anyone? Oh, who am I kidding. I have some Canadian friends in my church...maybe the next them they're home, they can stockpile me with some Timmy's.

Kellie, I think I am the "you" of the CPQ/Kellie match up, and Mer is the "CPQ". I'm Chatty McChatterson. And distractible. And forget...what was I saying? And she's totally calm. And John. He's waaaay calm.

I didn't get her a darn thing, darn it. Because I was going to. But then it got all last minute and all. And it became to be about my hair and cuteness and getting to our restaurant on time without OVERspeeding.

Unknown said...

If I ever make it across the Atlantic to your corner of the world can I meet you in real life too?

Thanks for letting us eaves-drop on your meeting :)

Anonymous said...

I told you so. ;)

Anonymous said...

I told you so! ;)

Anonymous said...

I seriously didn't mean to tell you so twice. That's a little obnoxious even. I'm very sorry.

Michele said...

Looks like you had a great time!

Anonymous said...

So, where are you? I'd love to meet up. I'm deep in the hills of WV. =) Sounds like ya'll had a good time.

Michele said...

What a weekend of bloggy friends meeting in real life. I'm so glad y'all had such a great time. I'm sure it is a little nervous at first . . .but God blessed you ladies with a sweet time together. Hope the rest of your weekend was great as well.