Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Wednesday's Weird Ways


Things have been a little heavy around La Vida Dulce (or at least my heart has felt heavy), so let's lighten things up, shall we?


Let me tell you about something in my life that I don't often share with people, lest I be labeled a "granola-eating tree-hugger"... although to be honest I do eat plenty of granola and, there are worse things to be called...

Anyway, back in the day when I lived in North Texas, the juicing craze hit our area, and I got swept in. 

I was a young mom, with a busy life, and a few issues, and I was in need of energy. There was a Friendly Juicing Lady who swore that juicing could cure any ailment, from hiccups to heat-stroke, with a daily drink of freshly squeezed veggies. 

However, her big push was ALL! THE! ENERGY! you could gather by simply swallowing a swig of orange colored root cure. 

The Holy Grail of vegetables: The Carrot. 

A couple of my friends were already on the carrot juice bandwagon, I didn't want to be left out of the loop. 

(For as much as I am a leader, when it comes to following I've done my fair share.)

Next thing I knew, I was buying carrots by the 10 pound bags and was drinking juice like a bunny on steroids. 

My first and last purchase on ebay was this archaic looking appliance. 

I call him Champ, the Champion Juicer. He weighs about 15 pounds and has a mean edge. Not only does he churn out the best of fresh juices, but he also makes all sorts of "nut butters" and the best crushed ice around.

I no longer juice everyday, and I've graduated to veggies beyond carrots (dark greens are good for you!) but I still occasionally enjoy juicing.

Does it give me more energy? Honestly, I don't really notice, but I do know that there are a lot of good vitamins in drinking veggies. 

My drink of choice is carrots, kale, celery, apple and cucumber.  (The artichoke is for dinner tonight, but since I was washing veggies I photographed him too.)
It's scary to look at, and I have to drink it over ice, and with a straw. But it's really not that bad. Really.

So there you go...

A La Vida Dulce Wednesday Weird-Ways.

16 comments:

Lori said...

I apspire to be a juicer, but since I can barely get dinner on the table it doesn't look so good for me. :) Your creation sounds great!

Tiffani said...

Girl, you and Michele are two juiced peas in a pod!! My MIL has the very same juicer.

Something I've never done but think is a great idea!!!

Hope you have fun tonight w/ CPQ..can't wait to hear about it!

Unknown said...

I have a juicer lurking somewhere in the back of my cupboard.

Megan O. said...

We bought one of those Jack LaLanne juicers from Costco about a year ago. We were totally into it in the beginning--drinking the veggie juice straight up. Now we juice some veggies and blend it up with frozen fruit to make smoothies. The only thing I hate about it is cleaning the thing afterward. It's a mess!

Heather said...

I don't juice because I hate to lose all the other good stuff that juicers take out. However I m big on salads--especially salads with lots of greens some fruit, and lots of other good stuff.

Anonymous said...

okay.. I love smoothies.. but I have never tried a veggie juice.. Thanks for sharing the tip granola-eating tree-hugger ;-) hehe totally kidding :-)

Anonymous said...

I keep meaning to borrow my brother's juicer to see if I'd really use it that much. It wore off for him a long time ago. Where do you go to find juice recipes?

Gretchen said...

I'm sorry things are heavy right now. I'm not a "juicer", but I have been known to make smoothies, so that's soooooorta on the health-o-meter, right? And I add flaxseed, making it a true colon blowing, essential oil experience.

I'm glad you anthropomorphize veggies. I like that in a person.

Have too.much.fun.with.CPQ!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You are a brave, brave soul.

Jackie said...

Hmmm...I've never tried this, but I'm all for anything that gives me more energy!

And I am curious what you using your artichoke for tonight...in a dish or by itself?

Carpool Queen said...

We'll add this to the list of things to discuss. I currently have a 10 pound bag of carrots in my fridge and I am proficient in the ways of Ebay.

I am also highly suggestible.

Michele said...

Girl . . . I am a weirdo with you. I love juicing!! It's not too bad when you get used to the taste. Sometimes I'll even add a little Barley Green to my juice. My faves are carrot, apple, and celery . . . Oh, I love the flavor of the celery! NONE of my friends do this. I also will juice watermelon and canteloupe rind in the summertime. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not alone in the world of juicing! Now I can say I have 1 friend that juices!

meh said...

My favorite memory on that TX trend was when one of our juicing buddies turned orange from all the energy, I mean carrots, he was drinking. (: But he didn't care cause he was feeling GOOD! Hope things are feeling lighter for you!

Anonymous said...

I CRAVED carrot orange juice when I was pregnant with the last two. I'm not a big infomercial watcher, but the Jack LaLanne one makes me want one a juicer single time.

The nut butters sound great, too! What if my husband comes home and we have a juicer?! Would that be wrong?

I was excited until you said "have to drink it over ice and with a straw" and then I kind of tasted it in my mind and now I'm thinking "not so much."

stephanie j. said...

MMMMMMMMMMMM....looks very green :)

Seriously, a juicer and a grain mill are on our short-list of things to save for. I can hardly wait for the grinder, especially!

Your eBay purchase looks really good. I think the older the appliance, the better these days! Probably 100% metal inside!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I love you, Kellie.

I don't own a juicer because I have never recovered from my mom pushing the celery-carrot-eggplant stuff on my years ago. She was seriously into it back then and I was equally willful. Blech.

Truth be told though, I'd probably love it because I am a health nut too.

And that artichoke on the counter is lovely. I heart artichokes.