Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Say It Isn't So

I wasn't actually going to post today. 


We have been amazingly productive this morning, so I didn't want to break the groove. However, I think I am learning something today. So I might as well write about it.

Not to mention that I have 20 minutes before the rice I made for lunch will be ready.

(CPQ, you will be interested to know it is white rice. Shocking, I know.)

As you know, we live in the south, where it is supposed to be warm. 

I do not enjoy cold weather, with the exception of the permission it lends to drink myself into a hot java stupor. Which brings me to what I have learned...

I have had some major stomach issues for the last two weeks.  Waking up feeling fine, but around lunch time feeling not-so-hot; kind of bloaty in the mid-section with awful stomach cramps. 

Aren't ya glad you clicked over today?

I had decided my problem was oatmeal. 

In the winter months my breakfast of choice is quite often a large bowl of oatmeal (not instant) with walnuts and some kind of dried fruit (apricots or Craisens, but most definitely NOT raisins. Coffeegal doesn't do raisins), but get to the point already...

I might need to mention that I  also made a plethora of oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies two weeks in a row (I'm currently on a hunt for the perfect oatmeal cookie recipe), which I may or may not have eaten in copious quantities. I'll never tell.

Anyway, the short story is this (my twenty minutes is nearly up): 

I have had a stomach ache, and I thought it was the oats.

Oh, that I wish it was...

This morning I refrained from the oats, and opted for toast with peanut butter...and half a pot of coffee.

Felt good. Things were fine.

Around 11:00 I brewed up the second pot of coffee. 

Coffee was delicious.

But now? 

My stomach hurts and feels all bloaty.

What have I learned this week?

I might have to give up coffee learn to live with a stomach ache.


(To see what others are learning this week head on over to Jo-Lynne's Musing of a Housewife.)

22 comments:

Rae said...

This girl doesn't do raisins either! Yuck! I don't see you giving up java....maybe you can take something to combat your tummy issues. And I want to know what you had for lunch with the rice!!

Kristin said...

Could it be the milk in your coffee? Maybe a non-dairy creamer, even though they taste yucky. Just being hopeful for you!

Carpool Queen said...

Now what am I supposed to do with this information? Switch back to white? You confound me, Coffeegal.

And I'm going to the cardiologist next week and I'm praying he doesn't say "No more coffee." Because I don't want to go to jail at 39 for involuntary manslaughter.

Anonymous said...

ooo no thats terrible! I sure hope its not the coffee!

Jewel said...

Oh no, I was hoping you weren't getting to that. I don't know if you use milk or that international delight creamer but I might start there. I know that creamer tastes delicious but the ingredients are kind of scary. I started staying away from milk and dairy products altogether this year and I feel so much better. There's other options like rice milk or soy.

Anonymous said...

So when you find the perfect oatmeal cookie recipe you're sharing it, right?

Or what I meant to say, of course, I hope you feel better soon.

Tiffani said...

Since we're being all open about such issues..I share those symptoms and I have a slight case of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)...so, maybe it's that??

With that said...I knew from the beginning of our blogging friendship that we kindred and you've only confirmed it with your copious amounts of Oatmeal Choc. Chip cookies..they are far and away my favorite cookie on the planet...have I told you about the OCC Muffins I made?? Yummy!

Hope your tum will settle down...

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

This is a VERY bad realization, Kellie.

Let's jump into denial together, okay? And grab Tiffani cause she needs to join us.

Oh dear. Oh dear dear dear.

Say it isn't so.

Lori said...

Ok, for a moment there I wondered if you were going to reveal that you're pregnant. :) A friend just shared that news with me so I've got it on the brain.

Hope that you find out what ails you!!

Anonymous said...

It couldn't possibly be the coffee. Hello...does your stomach not know the name of your blog?

Hope you feel better soon.

Terra said...

Now that would stink. It must be something else right? I think what you learned is that you better keep trying to figure it out!

Jaime (ChaseNKids) said...

I hate raisins. UGH.

I gave up lattes for Lent, but drink regular coffee. I don't know if I could give it up for good? Have you tried doing without the cream or milk? Maybe something non-dairy?

Gretchen said...

Oh mercy! NOT THE COFFEE!

not.the.coffee.

shuddering to think what this may mean for you...decaf?...grumpy mornings?...no warmth between your hands in the mornings?...

Fortunately, because I'm a Pollyanna kind of girl, I'll say, the GOOD thing is...you're still able to eat chocolate, and you even like healthy ;) cookies. What with the colon blow of oatmeal attached and all...

Marisa said...

Yeah, do not give up the drink of life (coffee!) Ever since moving here to Seattle, I've been seriously addicted to coffee.

Anonymous said...

LOL!! I can't stop laughing. I knew where this was going from the very beginning, but your final proclamation is priceless. I love it. Here's to happy stomach aches!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I can't do raisins either. I'm all about the craisins. My favorite salad -- totally off-topic now -- is fresh spinach with some blanched asparagus, crumbled goat cheese, craisins and Balsamic vineagrette. YUM!!

Musings of a Housewife said...

LOL. I do think that if you cut back to 2 cups a day, you may be fine. ;-) That sounds like A LOT OF COFFEE!

fortyb4forty said...

Giving up coffee is one of my worst fears. I don't know how I'd be able to make it through the day with out some coffee...

Michele said...

Oh no!!! You must do something else . . . it just CAN'T be the coffee!!! When I went to the doctor last week I've been having some issues, and he told me it had to do with the caffeine in coffee. . . that I needed to cut back. Not sweet words to this girl's ears.

I hope your tummy feels better. BTW, I know you are going to have a hard time believing this but I am a brown rice, non-instant oatmeal girl myself (I put honey in ours instead of sugar).

Blue Skies said...

As a person who has experienced your symptoms before, I would say that it may be a combination of both - too much fiber combined with a large amount of liquid gold which also can have laxative qualities. I have found that a cup of coffee helps keep the pipes moving when a little help is needed. hope that isn't TMI!

lisa@littlesliceoflife said...

I agree with Blue Skies' comment. I think it's the combo of too much fiber and the coffee. Obviously, the fiber must go!

jen said...

Oatmeal cookies - do you own the Joy of Cooking cookbook? If so, check out their classic oatmeal cookies - mmmm, good! Or check these out: http://learningpatience.wordpress.com/2008/12/19/lets-bake-oatmeal-cranberry-white-chocolate-chunk-cookies/

You can substitute whatever you want in them, but I get tons of compliments when I make them! Keep us posted!