Monday, March 30, 2009

Note To Self:

When going to the pet store to buy $60 of pet food and training treats, it best to look at which silver debit card you are tying to use.


It may just be your Sam's Club membership card.

They do look awfully alike.

I know that you were feeling a little flushed and embarrassed as you were trying for the third time to make that Sam's card work. 

However, exclaiming in a voice louder than usual, "I know there is money in this account, I just checked on-line before I got here!" was probably not the best way to react...nobody really believes that story anyway.

At least this is better than that time when you were at Costco and you had bought an entire, overflowing, cart of groceries, and realized that you had not transferred the grocery money over from the savings account (I do this in as effort to not spend on things I don't really need. It probably sounds crazy, but it works for me.) 

On that day you really did have insufficient funds. That really stunk. And it was no use trying to explain to everybody that you DID IN FACT have the money, it was just in another account.  

Sometimes the best course of action is to not say anything at all. 

Anyway, highly caffeinated Coffeegal, slow down a little. 

Relax. 

Not everything on the agenda will get done today. That's OK.

Think of the good things: You won't have to boil chicken and rice for the dogs' dinner tonight, and in all likelihood you won't try to pay for groceries with a membership card again.

Then again, knowing you...

Just be grateful for opportunities to laugh at yourself.  

Lovingly,
Kellie

16 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

Hopefully while you were shopping at Costco you didn't have your shorts hiked up and caught in your underwear elastic like the lady I saw this weekend.

And her husband who was with her had not said a word.

Darcie - Such The Spot said...

Can I just say that those are some lucky dogs?

Gretchen said...

Of course there's also your well meaning friend in Seattle who plans a trip to the fill in the blank store in combination with picking up the girl from school.

Only to be looking forlornly all over the car for.her.purse.

It's okay, right...we need the extra 30 minutes round trip to chat, right? Right?

Anonymous said...

bwahahaha sounds like something I would do! Glad you figured it out ;-)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Bless your heart. And thank you for making me laugh this morning.

Susanne said...

That is so me, it's scary! Or you end up banging your head against the pin pad in frustration because you're sure you're using the right pin number (but you're not), then have to walk around the rest of the day with a dent in your brow. Very embarrassing. Then you go on to make 4 or 5 quick debit transactions for 5 dollars or less (coffeeeee!) and a week later get an overdraw notice from the bank charging you a $33 fee for each one because you thought there was plenty of money in the household account (there wasn't).
Is there a cure for stupid yet?

Jackie said...

Yep - absolutely something I would do, which is why I am laughing along WITH you this morning. :)

CPQ's comment made me snort, too - I always dread somethign like that happenening to me.

whimzie@Snoodlings said...

This post is pure poetry to my ears. I tried to pay with my library card the other day. The checker was not impressed. She looked all of 19 years old. I'd love to see HER try shopping in 20 years and three kids.

Rae said...

Love this! So nice to know we all make these silly mistakes and can chuckle with each other!

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

Yep, done that!!

kathy said...

this just happened to me today and I was swiping my pet card at the grocery store - too funny! I actually called my hubby to see why the card wasn't working - ah, good times - good times

Lori said...

What a hilarious post - and one that we can all relate to! Ever since my card was declined once in college I still live in fear of getting "the look" from a salesperson after swiping my card.

Happy shopping!

Julie From Inmates said...

GREAT!!! Cute post =)

Michele said...

This is funny. Sounds totally like something I would do!! We have about 5 or 6 accounts and checkbooks b/c of Jon's business. He keeps up with most of them, but money is always being transferred from here, there, and yonder. . . . so I totally get you on this post!

Kristin said...

Or you go to the grocery store, unload your cart at checkout and halfway through the cashier checking your groceries, you realize that not only do you not have your card with you at all, but you can't for the life of you remember WHERE it might be! And the person in the next line over is a friend of a friend, that you just met this week. You have already spoken to him so now he also knows what an idiot you are! Sigh! (just did this last week) I feel your frustration - and giggled a bit too!

Anonymous said...

Once again, you're killing me! LOL. You are too funny. Mostly because I can so closely relate. My bank recently sent me a new ATM/Debit card, yet for some reason I felt the need to still carry the old one with me. And, yes, I said the same line while trying to pay for my groceries with an expired card. The cashier just kept repeating, "Would you like to try another method, ma'am? That card obviously is not going through." NO. I would not like to try another method! I want all of my cards to work telepathically with the card I believe I already have in my hand! I shouldn't have to look closely at what is already in my hand. So, there. ;)