Friday, August 08, 2008

Buttons, Buddies, and Backpacking

Happy Friday!


First, I was happy to receive an email from Travis Stewart, the co-founder of the True Campaign. Last month when I met with him and Constance I had mentioned that I would love a True Campaign button to go on my side bar.  

Not only did he make one, he made two! I think they are beautiful. 
If you are a True Campaigner and you would like to use these on your blog, you are welcome to download them. 

Also, if you haven't signed up to be a part of the True Campaign I'd encourage you to do so. Signing up gives The True Campaign Team the opportunity to occasionally send you updates on what's going on and where things are headed in the future! It's going to be exciting so come on and join us! 

Second, I am so happy that this week is over! This was the  l-o-n-g-e-s-t  w-e-e-k because The Mister has been on an eight day backpacking trip to Snowmass Peak in Colorado

He needed this trip in the worst way. Work has been stressful for quite some time and he enjoys putting a whole weeks worth of food, water and clothing on his back and walking uphill. He calls it "getting perspective". I'm thinking I could find other ways to "get perspective" but I love him just the same. 

I don't think it is quite possible to have missed him more than I have missed him this week. As a matter of fact on Wednesday I prayed all day long for God's protection over him. 

Ever since I read the stories about the guy who got pinned under a boulder and had to cut off his own arm, (and this guy who was pinned by a boulder and lost his life) it's been difficult to keep my thoughts and fears under control when The Mister goes on these trips. The Lord must get some good chuckles over me sometimes; Obsessively  consistently praying that boulders or bears won't get my man. I hadn't heard from him in almost a week, which I knew would happen, but in the middle of the nights (and into the day!) I would worry.

God was merciful to me and opened up the cell coverage so The Mister had five seconds of good cell phone reception on top of that mountain this morning. Most times cell phones don't work in the areas The Mister hikes; not to mention taking a phone defeats the purpose of going into the wild. He called and let me know that all is well, and that he hadn't been eaten by a bear, and that he still has both arms. 

Of course I was volunteering at the school so I missed the phone call, but hearing his strong and familiar voice over the machine was enough to assuage my fears. He sounded good, for a man who has just hiked 40 miles of mountain. He sounded like he has grown quite a beard, needs a good shower, and can't wait to get home to see his family.  ;)

Hurry home honey! We can't wait to see you. Oh, and stay clear of boulders.

As a last hurrah before The Mister returns, my buddies are coming over for dinner. It will be an Olympic theme as we dine on foods from across the world: Eggrolls (representing China), Taquitos (representing Mexico), Stuffed mushrooms (representing Italy), and chocolate (representing Belgium).

It's the four basic food groups. The dinner of champions!

La Vida Dulce!

4 comments:

Tiffani said...

I'm so glad The Mister is safe and sound...talk about praying without ceasing, huh?? :) Great idea for dinner!! We are having a fun night too and my family is going to have Olympic events over the next 2 weeks: like Shoe-Lace Tying, Popcorn Tossing, and lots of others--I even have little medals for the winners (it's a great book called Stop the Watch--a book for everybody, ordinary, anybody Olympics) so we can't wait! I will definitely put up the true campaign button...I think it is such a valuable tool!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got to hear the Mister's voice. It's never fun when they're gone.

Your Olympic dinner sounds like such festive fun. I personally am really looking forward to watching the events. I love it when Olympic time rolls around!

meh said...

Yippee!!! The Mister is NOT going to be one of those horror stories we read about. But I am sure he had full confidence in his shiny new knife if he were to need it in a crisis, like fighting off nasty bears and opening stubborn power bar wrapping!! Happy Olympic-watching tonight!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you like the buttons Kellie. Even more glad The Mister is safe and sound. Thanks for believing in the True Campaign.

Travis
The True Campaign Team