Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Fall Feeling

One of the weird phenomenon of being schooled under the traditional schedule is that I always had "fall feelings" shortly after school started.


Last summer, and now this summer too, I have had to adjust my inner-school-girl clock. My kids may be on a year round school schedule, but somehow my inner workings, deep inside my mind is still on traditional time.

Let me explain, last week when it was 104 degrees outside I had a sudden urge to make pumpkin bread. Because that's what you do after the kids have been in school for a month: you get ready for fall. 

I had to remind myself that, hello? It's still July outside. 

My mind keeps urging me to think about hay bails, and the red and orange house decorations, and soup and gingerbread coffee.

Fall. It's my favorite season. 

All this week I kept telling myself not to rush things. If I anticipate the fall too early, I'll miss all the summer fun...but then again the kids are in school, and what kind of fun is summer when there aren't any kids around to hang out with?

But I digress.

Anyway, I was at Target today. (Yes, again.) I was pushing my shopping cart around looking at various items, while thinking about how great it will be to have a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte sometime in the next few months. 

 I was thinking to myself: knock if off with the fall-time thoughts already, when I walked by a display of Halloween t-shirts.

WHAT?

No wonder I can't stop thinking about fall! The Fourth of July Sparklers haven't yet lost their heat and the Target is trying to sell me long sleeve Halloween t-shirts that have the word Spooky emblazoned across the chest? In the first week of August? When the tank top and flip-flops feel like too much clothing?

Yes, spooky indeed.

Now, where's my latte?

14 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

I think it would mess up my inner clock as well if my kids were in year round school.

And Target and all the other retail stores just keep pushing the envelope with how early they put holiday merchandise out.

The problem I always have is that when it's time to buy the holiday shirt (for example 2 weeks before Halloween) they are sold out or they already have their Christmas merchandise for sale!

It's maddening!

Blue Skies said...

I find my mind wandering to the designers and marketers for those companies - checking out Christmas merchandise in May or June, examining bikinis in November! I've heard the models in catalogues freeze to get the shots for the summer swimsuit catalogues in wintertime and melt into puddles to model winter apparel at the height of summer.
All to entice us to part with our hard earned dollars.

Lindsay said...

I think year round school would mess w/ my inner clock as well! This morning as I was leaving for work I stepped out of the car and I smelled the faintest smell of fall in the air.. I told Tim and he agreed. It is probably because we have some cooler weather today.

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

Yeah, well, don't you know they're about to start selling Christmas ornaments?! Gets earlier every year...

stephanie j. said...

Sunday I was shopping at the Commissary. They already had Halloween candy on "temptation alley" (the checkout line lined with "good deals").

meh said...

How do you keep your internal clock right when you live in the dessert and are swimming through the whole year? Funny thing, we started talking about what we want for Christmas the other day. The marketing guru's have gotten to us too!

Anonymous said...

No kidding. and this lovely 100+ will continue well into October...gets me every year! But you'll be long gone by then, right? To cooler pastures? We really need to have a meet up before you leave, but 1/4 of us (Metropolitan Mama) is very sick in bed with morning sickness!

Anonymous said...

I've not seen the fall shirts, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I keep willing myself to smell the fall in the air. It's not there though. No matter how hard I try.

Come September though you'll get a great taste of fall, and probably a beautiful fall colors showing too. I wish I could tag along. Fall is my favorite too. I always thought it had something to do with my birthday...

Michelle@Life with Three said...

That is so true! I keep thinking that it's much later in the year that it actually is because school has started for us, too. (It's like when you keep thinking it's Friday, but in reality it's Thursday.) I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

Tiffani said...

Preach it, Girl!!!

Shelley @ My Treasure Hunt said...

1. I also love fall.

2. Year round school is something I have never experienced in any form. I can imagine that would take some adjusting. I'm not sure I would like it-- but I guess everything has both pros and cons.

3. WOW- I haven't seen halloween stuff out yet...seems like just yesterday I was buying halloween stuff at Target on clearance!

I'm with you-- we need to enjoy summer while it is still summer!

Jackie said...

It's really crazy...they are selling this stuff earlier and earlier every year. Fall is my favorite season too, and as soon as August hits, I start dreaming about pumpkin patches and bread, golden leaves, and hot chocolate. :)

C D said...

Yep, fall is my fave too -- and I never feel the 'back to school' urge when traditional schools go back... I wish I kinda did --

We did make pumpkin soap (sweltering in July) in preparation for the coolness and wonderfulness that is fall, however :D

The Buntens said...

I feel ya' here. This is the very reason I dislike year round. Well, really it is the only reason.

I pulled out a cinnamon candle the other day just for a Fall feeling. And. then. I. went. outside.

hello July!