Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Confessions of a Career Relocater

Is that a word: Relocater?

Oh well, you know what I mean.

In anticipation of The Movers coming and packing up all our stuff I have been systematically cleaning out and organizing.  

And for someone who doesn't have a lot stuff, we sure have a lot of stuff!

I decided to tackle my bedroom closet this week.  You won't believe what I found.

There were six boxes I never unpacked after our move 17 months ago!

Out of those six boxes, three had had never been opened from the TX to NC move over three years ago. I actually had to get a box cutter to open the packaging tape!

Yesterday, and this morning, I have opened, unpacked, and thrown away many things from those boxes. Obviously, when you can go three (+) years without opening boxes, chances are you don't need what's inside. Do you think?

My closet was so unorganized that it bordered on criminal. 

The nice thing is that it feels good to get rid of things that I didn't even know I had!

;)

What's next on the list?  My Desk. The Boy's room and The Car. After that it's the refrigerators and the pantry. The Girls Room was done this weekend.

After that I am going to sit down and gaze upon the organization that moving produces, because I seriously hope this will be the last time I see it.

La Vida Dulce!

13 comments:

Lindsay said...

I thought after the pantry you were coming over to help me. This has been the longest I have been in one place in 6 years. I need to go through and do an overhaul as well!

It does feel so good when you declutter!

Jackie said...

Maybe I need to move across the country so that I can get organized and see what I really have! I've always thought that I am fairly organized and that I throw junk away on a regular basis, but I know I'd be shocked at how much stuff I really do have. Glad things are going well for you!

meh said...

Honestly, moving is a blessing for that very reason. My parents have lived in the same house since '74. Scary, very scary!!! But on the upside, going home means memories galore. Anyways, happy cleaning and I think I will go tackle a closet myself!!

Heather O'Donnell said...

Ah, the joys of purging things you don't need. We just moved 2000 miles and got rid of so much stuff! It was exhilirating. I almost want to move every few years, just to de-clutter!

Carrie and Jim said...

Sounds like loads of fun. Literally! Hope you don't work too hard. Good luck.

Tanya said...

I was in my attic the other day looking for some old maternity clothes to lend to a friend. There I found several boxes never cracked open from our move --- more than 4 years ago!! I should probably purge like you're doing, but I know what's in them (I'm a meticulous packer and thorough labeler)and I know I can't get rid of it. It would break my heart and when and if we ever have a bigger house, I know I'll want them then. :) Crazy, I know.

stephanie j. said...

Arghhh, I can commiserate with you!

You could always have a "chuck one third of your goods garage sale" like we did before moving to Almost Mexico...

I found boxes of stuff when we were in Almost Canada in prep for that garage sale that had stuff we hadn't used in 9 years or more! Ba-bye now!

Megan O. said...

Just wanted you to know you make me smile!

The Buntens said...

Oh, I should pretend like I am moving and just organize like this. I really need to!

One step closer to NC - Yay!!!

Musings of a Housewife said...

I love how moving forces you to purge. And I have been known to throw away unopened boxes from previous moves. I detest clutter. Not that you could tell by the state of my house at the moment. ACK.

Michelle@Life with Three said...

Oh, great minds think alike! I'm not even moving, but have reached the point where I'm starting to clear stuff out. You get such a sense of accomplishment from it! And really, it does help to make life a little simpler.

Genny said...

Moving again after just 17 months? That's a lot of packing and unpacking. Have fun with your projects, and best wishes on the move!

Kathy said...

Lol!! I was purging recently and found some of the same sort of boxes...from our last two moves. I was tempted to toss them without even opening them. I get a kick out of seeing those moving company numbered ID stickers on the back of furniture.

Peace and grace to you in this relocation season!

Kathy @ www.restorationplace.typepad.com