Tuesday, August 05, 2008

We Interrupt Your Regularly Scheduled Program...


This morning I couldn't bear the thought of running inside on the treadmill, so I leashed up Kona the Wondermutt and decided to run intervals at the local park.
 
While walking towards the park I noticed two animal control vehicles slowly driving around the neighborhood. I made a note to keep Kona on the leash. 

On my first loop through the park trail (which meanders through a bit of desert) I saw a mom and dad playing with their toddler on the playground equipment, while their German Shepherd looked on. 

On the second loop around I noticed that this sweet family was high-tailing it out the park like their was a wild animal on the loose. 

Turns out, their is...

The young mom approached me and told me that they had just been informed by park officials that a mountain lion had been spotted in the park only an hour before.

I decided to take the same course of action and head home as well. 

I figure that a girl running with her dog might look like a good breakfast to a Mountain Lion. 

It's just as well, it's way too hot outside for running anyway.

Funny thing: When The Girl was two or three years old she used to say this phrase to The Mister every morning before he left for work: 

Be careful! There's a lot of mean cats and dogs out there!

I have no idea where she picked it up, but to this day The Mister and I say that to each other when the other is leaving the house.

Who knew that one day we might say that to each other and really mean it!

La Vida Dulce!

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

o wow that is scary!! Glad you are at home safe and sound!

Carrie and Jim said...

I guess that is the only downside of living in such a beautiful part of the US. Glad your o.k. but that is pretty scary!

Lisa said...

What an eventful morning! So glad you didn't have a run-in with the big kitty!! Maybe the treadmill isn't such a bad idea.

Anonymous said...

I can't help it; I still want to kiss that mountain lion on the head.

Kim said...

See, I knew there was a reason I don't run. All those wild animals out there! You can never be safe enough :)

Anonymous said...

ACK! Not what I wanted to hear. I always feel safe running on weekday mornings because there are always lots of people coming and going. But I bring my trusty hammer along in the jogging stroller basket should I happen upon any mean dogs.

Weekend mornings though always scare me because nobody is up yet, not even my own family. I always have visions of trying to fight off a mean old mountain lion. And because I don't bring Jayce along I don't have a stroller in which to carry my trusty hammer.

I'm glad you were properly warned though. That's scary!

jen said...

Yikes! Oh, man, I could've used an excuse like that to cut my run short this morning! It was hot, and it was hot early!

Tiffani said...

Wowzers!!! Praise the Lord for everyone's safety!!! Although, I think my son would've risked life and limb for one glimpse!

Jackie said...

Oh, that's scary! That would be enough to have me hiding out in my house for sure! I always carry a bat with me when I go out for my walk, but the worst we see are mean dogs or an occasional coyote.