Friday, March 07, 2008

Suddenly

When we lived in NC, Friday was Cookie Day. I would make a batch of cookies for an after school snack.

Today I made Snickerdoodles. I did it for the kids. Yeah, the kids.

I got out of the habit when we moved.

Speaking of moving, exactly one year ago this week we were making our trek across the country.

To my Carolina Peeps, it seems impossible that I haven't seen your faces in a whole year. I miss you!


You know, this week has been long. I want to write something cute and cunning, but I can't.

My heart has been heavy.

A 12 year old girl was killed last Saturday afternoon in the street behind our house. She was walking in the cross walk, when suddenly motorcycle hit her. meh and I watched as she was helicoptered out of our neighborhood to the hospital. She died from her injuries early Sunday morning.

She was killed in a crosswalk, that my family has walked in many, many times. It's just yards from my house. So close that you can look over the block wall in our back yard and see it.

Life is so incredibly fragile. When tragedy suddenly strikes it definitely makes me appreciate the things in life that are truly worth cherishing; and worry less over things that are silly.

I have been praying a lot this week for this precious grieving family (I didn't know them personally). I have been snuggling my kids more, hugging my man longer, and remembering to slow down a bit.

One of the thoughts that I have had this week is how quickly I become complacent in my day to day life. Since we have moved several times in the last three years I had learned that time is so short. I learned to make the most of where we were. To risk loving people and places, even though there is pain in the leaving.

Saying goodbye is not as bitter as death, but it has a sorrow all it's own.

When this tragedy happened in our neighborhood last week I realized how I have become very comfortable here. Settled. Which on one hand is good, but on the other hand is dangerous.

I never want to live in fear so that I cannot experience life, but I must hold that in tension with becoming apathetic and listless, because life, and death, happen. In the end I can be grateful, and thank God for the sweetness of life when it happens, and pray that He will strengthen me when life brings a suddenly.

I may not be able to predict it, but I can certainly remember to appreciate what I have while I have it.

This is a good time to be reflective, and enjoy my family more, because today starts Spring Break for my kiddos. I love when they are home. We can get back into the habit of being together. This time will allow for more leisurely conversation at the breakfast table and throughout the day, and give us the quantity time that is required for quality fellowship.

This is also the time when they eat more, make more laundry, make more mess. They ask more questions and interrupt conversations. They wake up early and go to bed late. They talk on my phone, use my computer, and monopolize the TV.

They are going to eat all my Snickerdoodles.

And because I have a new perspective, I am sincerely going to enjoy every moment of it...

Anyway, this post is so incredibly random, but it's what is on my heart.

La Vida Dulce.....




3 comments:

Joanna said...

K-
I too have been thinking about this little girl. Emma has R.E. class with the friend that was walking with her when she was hit. The pain is unimaginable, and much too close to home.

meh said...

So sad!! I have been hugging my children a little tighter this week too.

But on a lighter and less meaningfull note, no one has answered my question about the dry milk substitute for your recipe below. Is one needed?

Megan O. said...

Kellie-
Thank you so much for sharing this from your heart. It was such a good reminder as I have been having an "annnoyed week" with my 3-year-old (Daddy was gone for a week). But I would never want to regret any time spent with her. Also a good reminder about not becoming too afraid to reach out and connect with people and the places we are put.
Hope you guys have had some great time off as a family!