Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Let's Lunch...


It has been a really long time since I have been able to have a Blogging Lunch.  It's really my favorite time to sit and blog. It feels so productive, what with all the eating and typing, and trying not get peanut butter on the key board. 


What I really should do is go sit down and write something of substance

You know, my head has all these really great things that I am wanting to write about, and yet for some reason I am digging my heals in when it comes to using that time wisely

I would have more time to write if I didn't do things like read 2867 recipes on allrecipes.  I wasted an hour of precious time, and I still couldn't find any lunch recipe I might be able to use with a can of tuna, bread crumbs and diet Coke.  Cuz, that's what was in my cupboard, until todays trip to the grocery.

Anyway, I've been thinking a lot lately about quality vs. quantity on blog posts.  Which is funny, because I never really thought about it until about six months ago, when I realized that I have almost 100 people who look at this blog everyday. Everyday.  Before I had a counter on my site I was writing to my little handful of "in real life" people, and I would write about things as I saw them, and my friends would all read, and we would laugh, and I was oblivious to the fact that anyone else could (or would want to) read it.

Honestly, 100 people is nothing, because there are bloggers out there who have thousands of readers. I have been blogging for over three years now and for some reason now I feel pressure. Pressure to say something witty. Pressure to say something wise. Pressure to post every single day with something that is good.  Pressure to be liked.

Which makes me laugh out loud, because I don't even consider myself a writer, and it kind of irritates me that this is even on my mind!  But it is...'cuz I feel privileged to be able to have met so many amazing women all over the country through this platform.  People I love to get to know through their blogs. People I would have never met otherwise!  

I think I am frustrated, because I am such a people oriented person, and I often wear my heart on my sleeve.  I am a "sit and interact with people" kind of person, and I think at this very moment I am irritated by the fact that I cannot be sitting across the table with you, eating our peanut butter and strawberries, sharing life face to face .  Without the hassle of having to spell check and re-word things, and make sure I haven't written "know" instead of "now".  Or that I have just written a complete run on sentence.  To be able to share life together, because writing it out seems so hard!

Whew! Who knew I was going to get so hormonal during this lunch? But I am feeling like things around La Vida Dulce have been a little bland. 

Does this all sound like I have completely flipped my lid? If you have a blog, do you feel this way?

2 comments:

Blue Skies said...

yes yes I do feel this way. I want to be enjoying that yummy sandwich with you and having a "real" conversation. Amazing that you have 100 readers. I just recently came out of my shyness and opened up my blog to close friends and family. Meaning I'm actually encouraging them to go read it instead of emailing the same details.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Kellie...I definitely know what you're talking about. I've made so many fun friends through blogging that I wish I could just hang out with in real life. I don't know that I feel pressure to post quality stuff all the time though. I started blogging as a way for our scattered family and friends to keep up with us, so essentially that's what I do.

I love reading everything you write...even the day-to-day family stuff!