Wednesday, January 09, 2008

On Being Safe

Is it just me, or have the news headlines been more than horrible lately?

Last October, as part of a Beth Moore's Daniel study, I chose to stay away from reading the news headlines as part of an exercise that was to help get our focus on the Lord.

I like to read the news, but I was reading way too much, and I was filling my head with garbage. So I stopped. At first I really missed it, but when the period of time was over I was kind of relieved. I felt free, unburdened by all the ugliness in the world that I have no power to change.

I did go back to reading the news online after the exercise but limited myself to cnn.com and the local paper, and cut out the news groups that tend to sensationalize things.

I may have to "fast" again, cause the headlines are getting me down.

This whole thing with the young female hiker in Georgia makes me sad. It's a sad story anyway, but for some reason it's tugging at my heart because the La Vida Family are big hikers. Hiking is a great family activity. It's good, active, safe, and fun.

Not only do we hike as a family, but The Mister and I have had hiking dates together, and many, many times we have hiked on our own. I cannot even count how many times I hiked by myself when we lived in NC. There were at least five different trails within a three mile radius of our home. I always called and let someone know I was going out (and called again when I got home). I kept my eye out, and tried my best to be aware of my surroundings....but if a young woman, who was a black belt in karate, was apparently surrounded by enough people who knew who she was talking to, and was with her large dog isn't safe, I don't know who is.

I guess that is where the whole problem lies: the things I label in my mind as "safe". I want to think that I am safe. I want to think that I am picking activities, and places to be, that are safe. The truth is that life has no guarantee's, for anyone, where safety is concerned. I can take precautions, I can do my best to make wise decisions, but ultimately, I cannot make life entirely safe.

When I hear stories like this one my gut reaction is to be fearful. I want to hide and not engage in any type of activity where I cannot control my environment. The truth is, if I did that, I wouldn't be able to send my kids to school. I wouldn't be able to go running. I wouldn't be able to go to church. I wouldn't be able to fly, or drive, or really, live.

This morning I was praying this scripture for a friend:

Psalm 91:5
You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,

Perhaps I need to take another break from the news and pray that for myself too.

4 comments:

Megan O. said...

Wow, great post. Thanks for sharing what was on your heart!

C D said...

Yes -- and I get my news from yahoo headlines, the 94.9 MixFM morning radio show, sometimes from KTUC AM radio, and blogs.

I choose to be an Ostrich, because I would spiral out of control into sadness -- then depression, and ultimately fear.

Good scripture. And

"Fear not, for I am with you;
be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Isaiah 41:10

Easier said (read) than done!

Anonymous said...

When a group of us headed over to Africa for six weeks, one of my friends told her mother, "Safety is an illusion." We've laughed about it ever since. But we also realize it's kind of true.

I do understand your sentiments though. I especially get fearful sometimes for my daughter. But that's when I just have to turn it back over to God and trust Him with our safety.

Three Fold Cord said...

Wonderful scripture!!
If you have taken any of Beth Moore then you are probably also reminding yourself that we serve a Sovereign God who is the Righteous Judge. HE WILL and does turn all things to good of those who Love Him and are called to HIS purpose. We have that hope that no matter what- death,disease,offense,betrayal etc...-we are loved and HE will be our defense always by our side when we feel all alone. All of us have felt this in different ways. May the Emerson family be conforted by the Lord through this horrific time of losing their vibrant daughter.(GA Hiker)