Thursday, May 15, 2008

Weekend Recap


Whew! Is it Thursday already?

I wanted to share a little bit more about our get-away. 

We stayed in the Marmaduke Cabin at the MLY Ranch, which is located between Greer, AZ and Eager, AZ.

Our family loves camping and hiking and vacationing, but every once in awhile what we need is a vacation that requires minimal work, has a quiet atmosphere, and indoor plumbing. 

I, in particular, love the indoor plumbing

The Marmaduke cabin is tucked in the pines of The White Mountains with a huge field that is used for the cattle. MLY is a working ranch, although you would hardly know it because we didn't see that many people while we were there. As a matter of fact, they rotate the cattle on different fields, so we didn't even see cattle.

We did see many other animals: hummingbirds (more than I can count, and they weren't at all afraid of us), elk, deer, wild hare's, raccoons, and one little snake (by the river). We also were visited several times a day by the two ranch dogs, Lucy and The Old Lady (we never figured out her real name. I don't really even know if she was a lady). They were sweet, like all ranch dogs seem to be. The Girl, our resident animal activist was in heaven.

The cabin was filled with everything you could possibly need, from a coffee maker (although I brought my own...Yes. I really did.) to board games. The beds were comfortable, the 
kitchen was clean, and the deck that over looked the country side was breath-taking.

It was quiet, with the exception of the humming birds (which we loved), and peaceful. We thoroughly enjoyed kicking the kids outside (to play) while The Mister and I made dinner. And again when we were cleaning up. 

Our intention was to go away from all the noise in life.  Away from TV and the computer, away from work, and the things of life that make us so busy. The Mister and I wanted quantity time with The Boy and Girl. (I believe it is hard to have quality without quantity.) We both wanted to read, drink wine while pondering the quiet, and enjoy some thinking time. Could we have had those things in our own home? Sure, but the phone will ring. Things will come up. Laundry will need to be folded. 

Sometimes you've gotta tell the world you need to rest awhile.

It was a great family retreat.

Here are more pictures...  
Mother's Day Breakfast: Homemade cinnamon rolls, fresh pineapple and strawberries. Oh, and coffee.
The Boy and The Girl in their costumes. On this trip they were pirates, and explorers, and soldiers, and knights and dragon riders.  She was a princess, sometimes. But only when it worked for her.
One of the many pictures I took of this feeder...most of which are taken without the quick bird.

Sharing a Pop-Tart with Lucy. I was always the first one up (I didn't want to miss the sunrise), but The Boy was always second...which gave us thirty minutes of time to be alone, just him and me. Which was lovely.
The Girl was anticipating a lot of wild flowers. Unfortunately, there was still snow patches around and spring flowers hadn't quite made their arrival. She managed to find some Dandelions (thought of you Janel!) so we could make a crown.  That night The Mister and I watched as a fawn ate the rest of the flowers! 

The Mister, taking a walk. I LOVE it when he wears that black shirt. 

The Girl. This is how she has ended every, single, hike in her short eight short years.

La Vida Dulce!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like tons of fun. That is the kind of trip your children will always remember!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Beautiful! I love the picture of your daughter on her daddy's back!

I was thinking the two of you got away without the kiddos, but I'm so glad to know it was a family affair. The more the merrier, right?

Our family loves hiking and camping too, but I'm always thankful when our plans include indoor plumbing.