Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My Name is Kellie, and I'm Addicted to Diet Coke...

...We love you Kellie.


Seriously, it's been twenty days since I gave up the liquid crack, and I am literally dreaming about Diet Coke.

Yesterday at swim practice one of the other moms was drinking a Diet Coke with lime, and I was salivating, and coveting, and contemplating asking for just one little sip.  If I wasn't such an anti-drink sharing germaphobe, I would have paid cold, hard cash for a swallow.

For twenty days I have had a headache (which could be from the worst allergies I have ever had, and I am on several prescribed allergy medications) that I am almost positive is my lack of Diet Coke goodness.

It's 7:30am and I  just finished two Coffeegal size cups of coffee (so like, half a pot worth), and I am still having a headache.

I don't know if I have ever  mentioned Kellie's Cure-All for Everything on this blog.

I think I may have mentioned it once or twice, but I have cured everything, from migraine to hang nails, with this remedy: 800 mg of Ibuprofen and a Diet Coke. 

I'm not saying it works for everybody, but it sure worked for me.

Also, I have gained 4 pounds since May 1st. And there is nothing I would like more than to blame it on the lack of my mid-afternoon Diet Coke snack.  Now, instead of drinking my snack, I am forced to eat things like ice cream and graham crackers with peanut butter.  Withdrawal. It causes munchies.

My brain isn't working. For instance, I thought the last day of school was Friday.  It's not. The last day of school is tomorrow. I guess I would've figured it out when I walked to an empty building.

Also when I went to make sandwiches this morning for the kids lunches. I kept forgetting stuff. I would go to the fridge to get bread, turkey and apples.  Only I would get the bread and forget the rest. Then I would go to the cupboard to get sandwich bags. Only I would grab one, instead of two.  Then I remembered that I hadn't yet brushed my teeth, so I went to the bedroom, where the bed had yet to be made. Which reminded me that the laundry needed to be switched from the washer to the dryer.  Which led me to wandering around from place to place never getting anything accomplished.

So you see, lack of Diet Coke is causing me to be unorganized! Unhinged!  I can't even make a turkey sandwich anymore!

Have I mentioned my head is pounding?

Oh, and let's not even talk about my mood. This morning I knew I had to get out of the kitchen because the The Mister was breathing.  It wasn't that it was any different than any one else's breathing. It's just that, well, I don't know what it was, but it was irritating.

Y'all, I NEED a Diet Coke!

I gave this up to feel better.  When will it get better?

12 comments:

Becky in East Texas said...

Girl, I say screw it! Have yourself a Diet Coke!!! Man, I wouldn't make a very good sponsor would I?

Anonymous said...

I don't have the Diet Coke withdrawal excuse, but my behavior as of late has been pretty scatterbrained too. Hmm. Maybe I can blame it on the end of the school year mushy brain! :)

Unknown said...

Doodles,
Your comment made me laigh out loud!

Darcie,
I have a few other things that I need a good excuse for...I think I will use end of the school year mushy brain for those!

Anonymous said...

It will get better - stay with it! Just think of all that icky aspartame and other ingredients you can't pronounce. . .

Shane H. said...

Hi there! I just followed the link love to your blog from Musings of a Housewife. I must confess...My name is Shane and I'm addicted to Vanilla Coke (which is becoming increasingly hard to find!). I'm really enjoying looking around your blog. I'm gonna bookmark ya! :)

Mrs. Moofish said...

It's Mr. Moofish at our house who is the soda pop addict--and he will drink any kind, especially if it's caffeinated. Soda is one of those things that I can take or leave. Except every so often on a hot day, cold Coca-Cola is soooo good! Then I discovered Coke Zero--I thought, great, good taste and zero calories. But it still has aspartame in it! How is it that Diet Coke and Coke Zero taste so different, but have basically the same ingredients? Anyway, I feel your pain, sister! Hang in there! Dana

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Ugh...so sorry you're having headaches. You know, since giving up diet coke, I drink a lot of tea...caffeinated tea...and that probably helped with the headaches. Hang in there. And you know, I think that having a diet coke every so often isn't going to kill ya...maybe you'll feel better if you just drink it! (I'm absolutely no help, am I?)

Becky said...

Oh goodie it is a bloggy support group...Hi i am Becky and I am addicted to Diet Coke. I vote for doodles as a sponsor, but then I don't need her since I have my kids that will gladly point out I am an addict. Try Exedrin migrane...........also your symptoms sound a little hormonal to me and take that from your older addicted friend........all I can say it Route 44 Miss ya girlie B~

jen said...

Oh, I'm sorry for your withdrawl! I totally would have given in by now, but since you've stuck it out so long I say hang in there. It has to get better! ;)

Anonymous said...

Would it help if I stopped breathing? The Mister

Mrs. Moofish said...

Brother, you are funny!! I guess it runs in the family! ;) Just kidding!

Chel said...

I gave up Diet Coke for Lent this year and made it 21 days until a horrendous day at work left me standing weak and needy in front of the vending machine in the break room. That was the best $1.25 I ever spent.

Go ahead, have a DC. I'm having one now.

Oh, and I've always said that I made it through my children's first few years only by the grace of God, combined with a bunch of Diet Coke and Advil.