Tuesday, May 06, 2008

In Which I Throw a Tantrum Like a Three Year Old

This is a rant. 


Which I try not to do here too often.

'Cause nobody wants to read negativity in a highly negative world. 

Here we go.

Today I'm talking about yogurt.

I am trying very hard to find foods that are not filled with High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). If you haven't heard all the fuss about HFCS than you probably, 1. Don't care. Or 2. Don't spend nearly enough time on the internet.

If you don't want to do an HFCS internet search, then I will just tell you where my problem lies with HFCS. Your body can only do one of two things with HFCS: it can burn it as energy, or store it as fat. 

Now, my kids are very active. They play sports, and hike, and play outside and are more active than the average kid. Because of their great activity I don't set huge parameters on their snacking schedule. Although, to be honest, we have always been fairly consistent about limiting the "treat foods" (which is what we call chips, cookies, candy etc.)

However, HFCS's are found in EVERYTHING, from ketchup to corn flakes! The amount of HFCS they are ingesting will eventually be  greater than their ability to burn what they consume. Especially as they get a bit older.

I was amazed to find I was buying "natural' granola bars, Power Bars, cheese crackers, even the heart healthy Whole Wheat bread, all of which contained HFCS.  It isn't good for their little bodies. And it will lend to a powerful sweet tooth that will be harder to tame as an adult. 

With that said, HFCS is in nearly everything that my children love to eat. Although I don't fool myself to think that we can completely cut this from our diet (because life is meant to be lived, not enslaved) I can make choices on things we eat in great quantities, like yogurt.

Here's my beef with yogurt:

It was only recently that I realized our 'natural' yogurt was cram-packed full of that sweet corny sugar. I decided that this delectable dairy product needed to be changed.  Surely this would be one easy way to cut the junk from our diet.

Well, it isn't that easy, my friends. It isn't easy at all. All the organic, HFCS free stuff, sold at the two stores nearby, are packaged in two ways: in 30 oz. containers, or in 4-6 oz cups.  

I happen to be married to a man with the metabolism of a hummingbird.  The Mister is one of "those people" who fight to keep much wanted poundage. 

(This is where we all roll our eyes in unison.)

The Mister is the least demanding person I know. He doesn't fuss over much of anything I do, but if I come home with 6 oz containers of yogurt, instead of 8 oz. containers, there is gonna be a fight. Because, you see,  2 oz of yogurt makes all the difference in the world when you have to "manage" to get in a certain amount of calories a day for maintenance.  

I will admit that I am also irritated by the 2-4 oz discrepancy, only because I really despise paying twice as much for less product.

Which leads to the #1 reason food companies use HFCS: It's cheap.

So, if any of you bloggers out there know of a good brand of yogurt (we really loved Mountain High yogurt, which they sold at Costco, but then discontinued), in 8 oz containers (that I won't have to sell my first born for) let me know!

And, as always, thanks for letting me rant. It is certainly cheaper than therapy. 

La Vida Dulce!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't help you with the size problem. BUT. Your favorite store and mine sells Dannon All Natural Nonfat Yogurt Plain in which the only ingredients are: cultured Grade A non fat milk and pectin. It is yummy if you dress it up with some strawberries.

It comes in a 32 oz. container and it is about $3. This was a huge find for me because I don't like eating yogurt in which sugar is the second ingredient.

At that same store, you'll find what I think is a nifty solution to the size of the container problem. Google "Fit Breakfast Chiller" and you'll see what I mean. You can pick it up right across from the meat case at the end of the greeting cards (I think - it's around there somewhere).

See now, eating right and going green. Two birds. One stone.

jen said...

I'm sorry to say that I can't help you find 8 oz. containers, but could you "repackage" the giant tub of yogurt into hubby-sized portions in re-usable containers? We buy the yogurt by the tub ('cause we eat that much), and it stays good for at least a week (don't know about longer; it's always gone fast) after we open it.

And while I'm being useless, I'll also tell you that we love, love, love Stoneyfield Farm's Yogurt. No HFCS, and the flavor is to die for! You might have to sell your firstborn, but it'll be worth it. ;)

Anonymous said...

Kellie, I was so excited to tell you how I had discovered a yummy yogurt with no HFCS, delivered straight to my door, courtesy of the only grocery store that delivers! Blue Bunny is the brand, only, guess what? 6 ounce containers! Bummer! Sorry, my brother!
Dana

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Size is the problem for sure, but my 3 favorite kinds of yogurt...in order of preference are: Brown Cow, Dannon (vanilla) and Horizon. I buy the 32oz container for under $3.00.

I'm glad you ranted. HFCS is in everything these days.

The Buntens said...

Oh, I feel your pain!!! I try very very hard to not purchase much of anything with HFCS. My kids are so versed in it, that they actually pick out food and ask me if it has it in it before they ask if they can have it. And then my 7 year old rolls her eyes and makes this squeaky voice to mock me. It is not fun to be mocked by your 7 year old.

We eat Stoneyfield yogurts. I buy the smaller ones for my kids, the sticks for them to keep in the freezer and the larger ones for hubby and myself. We also eat a ton of vanilla with berries and granola so I buy the biggest container of vanilla and scoop it in a bowl. It really is more cost effective because Stoneyfield is not cheap!

It does have sugar in it, but not HFCS.

My kids will not eat the plain and either will hubby. I can only do so much!

Now this is something we can all rant about! HFCS are bad bad bad!
I am all about a good rant, ya know.
:)

C D said...

Mountain High can be purchased at Safeway (plain, Vanilla and lowfat). My current fave is Fayeh or some such weirdness, at Trader Joes. I can't believe I actually like plain plain plain yogurt... it is so thick it is like eating cream. Yummmmm... they sell smaller versions with honey, which is tres yummy.

It's the bread that kills me.

And watch out for the lowfat stuff, they fill it with the corny stuff (check out the mayo etc... that is low fat -- full of sugar... same with dressings usually)

x

Anonymous said...

Supposedly, it is pretty easy to make your own yogurt. Seeing as I have not cooked anything since my Easy-Bake Oven days, I do not know HOW to do it, but that is why we have the Internet.

Musings of a Housewife said...

You just touched on one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. Have you looked at the ingredients on your BREAD yet? I looked high and low to find whole wheat bread without HFCS. URGHUMPH!

Musings of a Housewife said...

June - my mom used to make yogurt for us, growing up. I want to make my own popsicles.

Blue Skies said...

I didn't have much to contribute until c-d mentioned for you to check out your mayo. Maybe she missed the post about the white stuff or maybe she's never eaten a sandwich with you, but THAT made me laugh!

We are trying to cut out the HFCS too.... NOT EASY to do AND keep your regular budget. Thanks for calling out for suggestions!

C D said...

That's right... there seems to be mention of an aversion to white stuff... in the distant past, like away long time ago... must've slipped my mind, since I like to eat french fries with mayo ;-)

http://www.ultrawellness.com/blog/
FWIW... it is all about all the bad HFCS.

I had KFC the other day and asked for honey for my biscuits... yep, the honey packet labels showed that the honey contained HFCS --?!?!?

Anonymous said...

I'm with the others who LOVE stonyfield farms yogurt. Don't know about the size for you, though, but I think it might be bigger than your typical individual yogurt container.

Homemade yogurt is really easy to make though, and then you can totally control what goes in. Email me if you want to know more about how.

Unknown said...

You Gals are the best! To come along side me in my HFCS burden!

I will definitely try out those brands! And see if I can convince The Mister to carry in his own dish of yogurt or eat smaller amounts!

I may just make homemade yogurt and post about it.

After all, Jo-lynne had to eat it growing up, and she turned out pretty neat.

Stay tuned this weekend when I post a recipe for another good HFCS snack!