Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Talking

I have always had the habit of talking while driving.

Sometimes it's because I am on my way to a function where I know I will be speaking. Sometimes its when I know I will be asked to answer certain questions. Sometimes it's when I am talking to my imaginary friends. (That's a joke...sort of)

Last night was my last night at a Bible Study I have been attending all year called Bible Study Fellowship. We have been studying Genesis and I knew I was going to be asked what I had learned in the last nine months of study...Which isn't an easy task when you have just done and in depth study through 50 chapters of the first book of the bible! There's a lot of good stuff in there. So I was "thinking out loud", so to speak. I have done this since I was a child. I remember having a conversation with myself driving home from school in my Dad's brown VW bus. (I remember him asking me who I was talking to? He couldn't hear me over the roar of the engine...I told him I was singing) I think this is because I tend to process things by talking them out, however, one can really wear others out by talking all the time. So one resorts to talking to herself.

Back to yesterday. Everytime I would stop at a stop light I would stop talking. Afterall I didn't want the people next to me thinking I was some sort of weird bird who talks to herself. But then it occurred to me that they couldn't possibly tell if I was talking to myself, 'cuz in this day in age I could be talking to someone with my "hands free" cell phone.

Do you know what freedom there is in this epiphany? I can now talk to myself all I want and I can just be a "normal" part of today's culture.

So, fess up and be a weird bird with me, do you talk to yourself?

0 comments: