Friday, May 05, 2006

Happy Cinco De Mayo

...Or No Mayo Here

I needed to clarify what we are celebrating here. Just so that you are sure that my celebration has nothing to do with mayonnaise....Because even as a Hispanic women who finds any reason to celebrate I would not be celebrating anything to do with mayonnaise.

AS a side note, this may be a good time to tell this tidbit of information.

I hate mayonnaise.

I hate the way it looks: all gelatinous and yellowy-white.

I hate the way it smells: Indescribable.

I hate the way the knife sounds when you work it through the jar: qwieegh!

I am pretty sure that most of my readers include my long suffering friends (because I call them up and say "Did you read my blog today?") and my faithful parents ( because they have to due to that whole They-Brought-Me-Into-This-World-issue) so if you're reading this you probably already know and are very sick of this information. But on the off chance that someone doesn't know....Like if you happen to see me in the store completely avoiding the mayo isle, or if I snubbed my nose at you when you served me a sandwich in a restaurant with that vile disgustingness on it, or I wouldn't eat your covered dish because it's held together with it....you can rest assured I am not trying to be rude. It just happens when Mayo and I are sitting at the same table.

For example, our good friends came to our house a month or so ago, they brought the main dish, cold cuts and yummy bread. When my guest pulled out a huge jar of mayo I said very calmly under my breath "It's OK we can still be friends." Only it was after I said it that I realized it wasn't exactly under my breath as much as it was out loud.

I am working on it....but it is taking quite a bit of time. And honestly I haven't been that successful.

But on to the real reason for this entry today. It is the Fifth of May! What could be better than Mexican Independence Day falling on a Friday?

To celebrate I took a siesta!

Today is a great excuse to have some enchiladas and some tortilla chips and salsa and wash it down with a margarita, frozen with salt... preferably in a glass the size of a fish bowl.

As an added bonus, this is a meal completely free of mayo!

Fiesta Time!
PS: Miracle Whip = Mayo...with a different name.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll try to bring a smaller jar next time :-) OR maybe I should disguise it in tupperware??
KHS

Lara said...

Your PS made me laugh out loud!

Anonymous said...

I have to say that as a Mayo lover, Miracle Whip does NOT = Mayo! As a Miracle Whip lover, my man would wholeheartedly agree. :) Hope you had a great mayo-free day.
KHB

Anonymous said...

I wish it were cinco de mayo every friday and in your honor I did celebrate. I agree with KHB mayo does not = miracle whip there is no mircale in that whip! Mayo all the way!!!!