Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Gift of Beauty

I love small gifts in the middle of a day... and yesterday I received one.

I was invited to a teatime by my sweet friend Alison. 

There were six other moms there, all new to me, and a plethora of children between us. We met on a grassy knoll of the wide open spaces of a small farm. The home of a gal with a gentle spirit. 

There were horses and goats and chickens. There was a garden full of basil and herbs. There was the green of the pines, the blue Carolina sky. 

I wanted so-very-badly to take pictures, but I figured whipping out my camera for the sake of the blog would be tacky.

I walked in a total stranger, and walked away feeling I'd been privilege to a treasure chest just waiting to be found. 

We sat on an aged-wood picnic table covered with an old, soft blanket, and sipped hot tea (with milk) from beautiful cups and saucers. The fall breeze occasionally took the warm sun from our skin. We laughed and listened. We prayed. 

It was ... communion... just sitting with them, sharing together. 

It wasn't fancy, or showy... it was simple. 

Beautiful.

It was a blessing, and a reminder. 

Do not shy away from inviting those around me to partake in the people and things I love... to intentionally create something lovely, something simple, something beautiful to share. It doesn't have to take a lot of time, or energy, or expense. A small amount of effort  could be, while I am unaware, the brightest spot in someone's day.

1 comments:

Gretchen said...

Your writing is beautiful, Kel. I felt the breeze on my face. My friend's new signature line reads: "Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." --Robert Brault

I think your afternoon tea time was just such an example of a "little" thing.