Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Random Thoughts of a Happy CoffeeGal



The La Vida Academy is officially on Thanksgiving vacation!

Which mean the Sweet Shop is now open full time.

Today I hope to do a twenty-minute-tidy on the house, and then I'm locking myself in the office for the day.

Today I am working on these for my beautiful and sweet pre-teen nieces:


I'm tempted to make one for myself....

I'll probably need to find some time to bathe my dog.

She ran out last night in the rain and found some nastiness to roll in....

If I didn't love her so much I'd be tempted to make her be an outside dog for good.

I also need to start the dough for my Southern Refrigerator Biscuits....which is a lovely, super-buttery, sweet bread I always make for Thanksgiving.

Oh, and yes, I need to take  the turkey out of the freezer...thanks for reminding me.

Some of you already know this....but I get my bird drunk every year. I already posted about this here (four years ago????) ...but I get such a kick out of it that I'm telling you again.

Ok seriously, how does time go so fast? And how much better does my kitchen look with the white cabinets!

But back to the turkey... several years ago when we were living in Texas I was so excited because I found a turkey on sale for .28/pound (or something ridiculous like that) and so I picked the BIGGEST turkey I could find.

I didn't take into consideration that we are just a party of four. Nor did I consider that half of our family was under the age of 5...I was temporarily blinded by .28/pound.

I was so proud when I came home with a 25 pound turkey. I had to throw out nearly everything on the top shelf of the freezer to get it to fit, but it was totally worth it.

Of course I forgot to pull the turkey whopper out of the freezer, and it wasn't until Wednesday morning when I realized my mistake.

I called the turkey hotline and the turkey expert told me to quickly take my bird, and put him in the bath tub filled with cool water.

So that year the bird got dunked twice. Once in the tub and once in the keg.

Oh, and also....do you know how long a 25lb. bird takes to cook? And how much meat you get??

Alot.  We ate turkey of one variation or another for a very- long- time.

But look at the memories I have.

This year my bird weighs a whopping 12 pounds. Perfect.

How about you? Are you cooking this year? Will yours be a big feast with all the extended family, or a small affair like ours? What is your favorite Turkey Day dish?

Happy Tuesday!

PS: I do have some time scheduled to catch up on blog reading...and to check in on all you new gals who have been recently leaving comments! Thank you for stopping by, and saying hello!, and I look forward to using some time this holiday week to pop-by your place!

15 comments:

Melissa said...

I forgot to thaw my turkey last year. A combination of microwaving, dunking, and praying worked wonders!

Have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

Laura said...

this is our 4th annual leave-town-to escape-the-stess-b4-Christmas- arrives trip!

3 years were spent in San Diego and the kids flocking into the beach after we eat.This year we are spending it in a pent house in Scottsdale. This is going to sound a bit weird but no offense to any, I hope. But normally we eat an almost organic diet, sugar free, nothing boxed. BUT on this day we do the all American Thanksgiving dinner, Stove top, Mac and Chz, Mashed Potatoes, rolls, green beans, cranberry sauce, gravy, scalloped potatoes,yams with marshmallows, lots of butter and all from cans and boxes. This is such a treat to us! And we love it, We get a Chicken/ham tho, Turkey would be too hard. Then Classic pumpkin pie and cool whip with apple cider. This year our place has a fire place, so lots of fires, food, and movies!

And you can't beat every morning an all you can eat breakfast(free) which has Waffles, strawberries, whip cream, bacon, eggs, bagels, cereal, yogurts, taters and more!

Less then 24 hours and we are off! Yah! thanks for letting me share my trip with you, can you tell I am so excited?>! Oh and don't let me forget Jacuzzi and a swim every morning:)

Have a blessed day Kellie!!

Amber said...

I'm in awe of the dunking and drunking.

Erin said...

I agree with Amber...the dunking and drunking got my attention but also, so did the turkey hotline! Who knew??!!! Now, I wonder if there is a chips and salsa hotline...or a buffalo wings hotline...or a Dove chocolate hotline! (he he he...)Clearly, I am new to the world of cooking turkey. I purchased a thawed Butterball turkey in hopes that it comes with SOME flavor since I have NO idea what I am doing!!! Yikes!

really.truly said...

It's probably a very good thing, but I am not cooking this year. I've been making cranberry sauce every day. Love me some sauce ;)

I bought a 29 cent turkey...it's taking up a lot of freezer space. I'm going to attempt to cook it soon. Thanks for your turkey suggestions...getting it drunk, de-frosting. :)

Happy Thanksgiving week!!

O Mom said...

I always buy a huge turkey on sale too and it's just the 5 of us, but who can resist that deal!!
We homeschool too and I think I am more excited than the kids, to have this week off!

Lori said...

I haven't ever made a turkey before, but when I do I'm going to revisit this post for some tips! And those gifts you're making... just gorgeous.

Have a very happy Thanksgiving, Kellie!

Anonymous said...

oo that turkey sounds good! I am having turkey at my parents on Thursday and ham at our house the day after Thanksgiving! Yum!

Carpool Queen said...

I'm cooking the stuffing, but that is all. My MIL loves to show out on the holiday, and since it's her house and she's a good cook, I let her.

Let's taste test those biscuits next time we're together, 'kay? Thanks.

Becca @ My Crazy Good Life said...

I went to our neighbor's house a few years ago to see if the needed any help on Thanksgiving morning. When I walked by her pool, I saw the turkey floating in it!! I guess that's what you do when you have a pool...

I made sure it was double-wrapped before I agreed to eat it. :-)

2cats said...

My husband and i are breaking with tradition this year. We are having burritos with rice and re-fried beans. I like this idea (I think) because the clean up will be easier than a whole turkey dinner. I will miss the turkey sandwiches though.inner was very late that year.

Such The Spot said...

I love the fabric flowers Kellie, but I can't tell from the picture...or those aprons? Whatever it is, it's very feminine. Very pretty!

Megan O. said...

Happy Thanksgiving!! I too forgot to defrost our turkey in time a couple of years ago. Instead of eating at 2:00, I think we ate at 5:00. We ate lots of appetizers!!

BTW, thank you soo much for your sweet gift. A thank you card should be on its way!!

Gretchen said...

I'd be just as happy with all the side dishes, but I make the turkey as a prize for the rest of the family. Lurved our call on Wed. xxxooo

Sandy said...

Since my son-in-love has been watching a lot of Food Network recently, he wanted to do the turkey & the stuffing. It was very good! The stuffing had cornbread & sausage in it (plus carrot, celery, onion,) & even though I do not like sausage, it was yummy!