Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanks Giving

It's quiet here this morning.

It's cold and rainy, and yet, the day ahead holds promise.

I am thankful for that.

I love this week of Thanksgiving...and the quiet here this morning is lending itself to pondering...

I'm thankful for...family far away.

On Friday I had two telephone conversations:

In the early afternoon I spoke with my sister-in-law. We hadn't talked in a very long time, but as good friends often do, we slipped into encouraging conversation immediately.

Much later that night I had a conversation with my brother. He had just arrived at home from the hospital.

He's a police officer, and while on duty he was hit on his motorcycle by someone who ran a red light.

It was rush hour, on a very busy intersection...he was thrown 75 feet from his bike.

He was banged up, but for all intents and purposes, his injuries laugh in the face of the tragedy that could have been.

To hear his voice that night was soothing to my soul.

I am thankful...that his life was spared.

On Sunday we celebrated The Misters birthday with steak and chocolate cake, and spent the evening around our fire-pit in the back yard.

I am thankful for....a husband that is strong and tender, smart and wise, loving and honorable. I cannot figure out how in the world I got to be his beloved...but I am so very grateful.

I am thankful for... my church family.

We are a small community and last night we met for our traditional Thanksgiving meal.

After dinner we had the opportunity to give voice to our gratitude. As a handful of the men and women stood up to give thanks it was clear that we have each been given to this community for specific and real reasons.

Honestly, I have often doubted what my purpose might be for this little church, but last night, I didn't doubt.

I am thankful...that God has a very deep and meaningful purpose...for my brother, his family, my church family, for me....

He has great purpose for you. 

Don't believe otherwise.

Sometimes it is difficult to see, or to understand...

So, I am especially thankful for this:

"I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—
plans to take care of you, 
not abandon you, 
plans to give you the future you hope for."
~Jeremiah 29:11
(The Message)

16 comments:

Melissa said...

Beautiful...just beautiful.

Tracey said...

Love this! I am thankful for your abundance of inspiration. Have a blessed week!

really.truly said...

I'm so glad that your brother is home and healing.

Lovely post...and thank you for sharing that verse. It's one of my favorites.....and one I'm thankful to read at this very moment :)

Rachel said...

Hey there! I'm so far behind in my bloglines...I've been very busy trying to play catch up after being out of commission for almost a week.

I love that verse, its one of my very favorites.
Praise God that your brother wasn't harmed worse. My sister's husband is also a police officer. Being a police officer's wife is a role that requires great faith. Its a hard thing for her, a battle that has to be laid at the feet of Jesus on a daily basis. Thankfully HE is very capable of bearing our burdens!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! :)

Laura said...

I have so much to be thankful for, why is it sometimes so hard to be thankful.

I will though to give honor and glory to God and for all His love.

thanks for this post!

O Mom said...

This is the 3rd time I have heard this specific verse this week. I am now claiming it for myself. Thank you.

Gretchen said...

As I came here to catch up with you today, the only word I come away with is...soothing.

I am so grateful for all that you described. And especially grateful for the miracle which was the sparing of your brother's life. God is mighty, indeed.

Jenster said...

My soul is smiling right now. This is a beautiful post.

Kristin said...

Well reading this made our rainy day a little more cheerful! :)

Allison said...

What a wonderful post! I, too, am glad that your brother is ok! How awful.

Anyway, I hope your family has a safe and fun Thanksgiving holiday!

Amber said...

What a precious tribute to those that you love and to the One who made us.

So very thankful.

2cats said...

Wonderful ways to be thankful. I am so glad your brother is not worse than just a few bumps and bruises. God was with him as he flew through the air.

Sandy said...

My very favorite verse! It was first "given to me" when I was a brand new believer & discouraged about not being able to conceive. So I claimed it! Then when I did get pregnant a short time later, I struggled with worry over whether I'd carry to term (early contractions). So the same dear friend who had given it to me, reminded me of it again & I clung to it, right up to the time I delivered our son... 2 1/2 weeks past my due date. I decided it needed to be my life verse, & God has given me many more opportunities to remind myself of His plans for me through the years. How good God is!
I rejoice with you that your brother was spared & protected!
Happy Thanksgiving!!

His Girl said...

totally needed this at this moment. feel like i just had a warm cup of tea.

thanks, amiga.

Carpool Queen said...

So thankful for you this week.

Anonymous said...

Im in tears! I am so glad your brother is okay!! God had some angels on duty when that happened! I love when I have little glimpses at God's amazing plan! Thanks for sharing yours!