Monday, November 02, 2009

Detox


For those of you who didn't know, the La Vida House was on "vacation" last week.

How can nine days go so quickly?

I've want to write on a handful of topics today but the truth is I'm in "vacation detox".

What is vacation detox?

Well, its about tough love and hard work.

Its letting go of the care-free minutes of unplanned days and setting the face to flint.

Its reminding oneself of the luxury of nine days of togetherness with The Mister, and the ablility to shed the school teacher hat for a week.

Its about the reality of a weeks worth of laundry and housekeeping gone undone. Its about not knowing if the refrigerator has (edible) food in it, and making a list for the store.

Its about motivating children to be early, eager, and educated. Hopefully in that order.

Its about getting out the calendar and trying to make sure that the schedule isn't too full.

Its about getting a grasp on reality and creatively channelling chaos to look more like peace.

Detox.

It ain't for sissies.

The good news?

There is always coffee.



(This is a picture of me with the only cup of coffee I could find at the zoo. More pics to come!)

8 comments:

Tracey said...

I'm still attempting to come back from Fall Break...and mine ended Oct. 22nd. In the time I've tried to type that one sentence, I've put a Snoopy band-aid on the youngest, heard about my son's molar 'that had a weird cracking noise', typed a few more words, then had to get him some salt water after he pulled the tooth out of his head.

I need another vacation..

K2 said...

Ok, that picture makes you look like Alice in Wonderland, and I'm guessing that if you actually had a cup of coffee that big, you would feel like you were in wonderland, too!

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love those vacations! They do however seem to fly by!

Gretchen said...

Setting the face to flint. You couldn't if you tried. There's always the hint of a twinkle in your eye.

But I'm sure it's hard and all...detoxing. Good thing you have your coffee to keep you warm and focused.

Carpool Queen said...

I'm detoxing, too, but not until after I see you later this week. Then I'll get serious about stuff I need to do.

Amber said...

Coming off of vacations are the best and the worst. Hope you get it all back to where you feel "together" soon.

Tiffani said...

oh yes, bittersweet, indeed.

Look forward to your pics!!!

Gretchen said...

I'm so glad you got to enjoy a week of wonderfulness! Remember: it took a week to create all that laundry, so give yourself that long to catch up. ;)