Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Coming soon: Carnival!!!

Who doesn't love a carnival?

The rides. The fried bacon.

The homemade jam. The fried bacon.

The men with missing teeth running the rickety rides. The fried bacon.

.....uh, wait a minute.

Scratch that.....

I'm not a huge lover of bacon. Although frying can make some things better.

Case in point, I went to a Cuban restaurant last night. I had the Ropa Vieja. It was delicious! But the best part? The fried green bean appetizers dipped in guacamole.

Mmm Mmm good!

But that's not why I am here today.

Where were we? oh yes! Carnivals.

I'm having one right here at the La Vida House on Friday.

Admission?

You write something to finish this prompt:

If you came to my house today...


You can make a list. Write an essay. Do a pictorial. Make a cartoon. Have a puppet show. Whatever. Just tell me what would happen if I, and a million people from the WWW came to your house today....or tomorrow, or  6am in the morning when you were supposed to be having quiet time. (Not that I know anything about that.)

When you've finished writing, come on over here and put your link into Mr. Linky.

Sorry, no fried bacon, but I assure you that when you ride on this bloggy ride you'll get a full-toothed smile.

Now, for an about-face, and with as much sincerity and respect I can give to the written word, I want to say this....

It's Veterans Day.

The kids and I have been studying the Civil War.

600,000 Americans died in that war.

Men and women have fought (and fight!) for this country... To win the right for me to sit here, and sip my coffee, and type these words.

I am the daughter of a Veteran who served in Vietnam.

I am the wife of a Veteran who served in the Gulf War, and who still serves his country today.

I am proud of those who serve the greatest country in the world.

To these veterans and to the ones I have never met, thank you.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

oo love this idea! What a fun topic :-) I too am very thankful for all of the military does for this country!

Carpool Queen said...

You had me at bacon.

Gretchen said...

God bless "your" veterans. And I'll play. Gotta run and get my coffee though.

Megan O. said...

What a great idea for a carnival! And a great reminder about all of our veterans. I need to go call my dad and say thanks!

meh said...

I love your new aprons on Etsy!
I too am thankful for our veterans!
Bacon is the best!
I will contemplate the carnival!

Amber said...

I'm playing. And hoping that there may be a deep fried twinkie somewhere in the mix.

Did you know that the latest carnival craze is FRIED BUTTER???
Fried butter. Arteries all over America are screaming for mercy.

Tell the Mister thank you for all he has done and is doing for our country.

Candace said...

Hey- I couldn't figure out how to do your link system, but I joined in the fun anyway! ;)

Gretchen said...

What a great idea!
Thank you to your family for their service for my freedom. (what horribly botched sentence structure, but you know what I mean)

lisa@littlesliceoflife said...

Mmmmm....bacon.

I'd like to have a Fried Moon Pie right now too.

Tell the Mister thanks for his service. Happy Veterans' Day!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I'm in!

All because of the bacon.

If you'd mentioned anything with sugar (or chocolate) I would have to politely decline. ;)

Thank goodness for bacon!

Tiffani said...

Sounds like fun to me!!!!

Very thankful indeed for our service men and women!!

Sandy said...

I'd love to do this, but not sure how to... you may need to give some of us a tutorial...
Thank your DH for his service to our country!

Kristin said...

I've always been in awe of our service men and women - AND their spouses. I don't have what it takes to have a hubby off in the service. So a huge thank you to your husband, and to you too.