Saturday, April 05, 2008

A Hairy Tale

Last week held a lot of TMI here on the blog. We started with some personal issues, moved our way through stomach ailments, ending with the purchasing of undergarments.


This week we might as well extend the theme and talk about something high ranking on the TMI category: leg hair.

I really should be called HairyGal, instead of CoffeeGal, but since I am all about putting your best foot forward, and emphasizing the positives, I went with the obvious. If you were to hang around me in Real Life, then you would almost always see me with a large mug of coffee in my hand, but hopefully you wouldn't ever see my lack of shaving, plucking or waxing.

There are some amazing perks about coming from both a Latino and Native American heritage: lovely (year round) skin color, prominent cheek bones, and the ability to sniff out a good tortilla in any town we live in (and that is a gift y'all).

However, not everything is Sweetness and Light.  

I have wild eyebrows that must be tamed, and a mustache that would make a pubescent boy jealous.

And then there is leg hair.

Almost 10 days ago I was at the salon and I talked to my aesthetician about Waxing of the Legs. I have never done this before, but the summers here are all about bathing suits and summer shorts.  I am tired of shaving my legs, especially in my teeny-tiny shower (post to come). 

I decided to go for it. I would grow my leg hair and get it waxed. How hard could it be?

Well, my salon lady told me that I would have to grow my hair for 4- 6 weeks. She explained that the hair must be one-half to three-quarters inch long.  She said this was average time to grow adequate hair. 

I can proudly tell you that I am not average, but way, way above average.  Have you ever heard of Locks of Love?  If they could take leg hair, I would be their poster girl.

On Saturday I went, with my parents, to a charity soccer game in the park. It was windy and I was wearing capri's, in hopes that nobody would notice that I had more leg hair than my Dad. It had only been 8 days since I had taken a razor to my legs.

Anyway, I kept feeling this weird sensation on my legs. Y'all, the hair on my legs was blowing in the breeze and brushing the skin!  

My Dad took one look at my legs and said "What is that?"

On Sunday we had family in from out of town. Including a cousin I hadn't seen in 20 years.  It was too hot for jeans, and I was too hairy for shorts, so I caved...

And I shaved.

I still have an appointment scheduled four weeks from now. I will most likely cancel it. I just don't think I can handle the growing out process. 

This week on the agenda: must by shorts.  Now that I can go out in public again.

La Vida Dulce!

8 comments:

Blue Skies said...

I don't know how to comment on this one.....I'm dying with laughter here because I can relate! I may come up with my own post related to this rather than take up space in your comments. I know for sure that I don't have the guts to wait it out long enough to do a waxing.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

So you caved and shaved, huh? That is so stinkin' funny!

I've felt that weird sensation of hair blowing on my skin. I usually feel it on my knees because my hair grows so finely there that I can't see it and I always miss it when I shave.

Hilarious post!

Musings of a Housewife said...

LMAO! OMG. I was hoping to hear how waxing went, but I don't blame you for caving. What a riot.

C D said...

yep - too funny. I too can also relate. I have the hairiest arms I know -- hairier than himself. And on my toes. gross.

Winter grow out my friend.

:D

x

meh said...

You have now taken your blog to whole new levels dear friend! But I am impressed that you would be willing to endure that kind of pain. I had my eyebrows waxed once years ago, it hurt, and I will not do it again. Of course, I am not exactly the poster child for pain tolerance. I used to get laughing gas to get my teeth cleaned. I proudly admit that I had all 4 kids with epidurals. I can only imagine that waxing the legs must be dramatically more painful then eyebrows. Maybe if they would offer a leg wax with an epidural...

Anonymous said...

some days it pays to be a blond with blue eyes.........

Anonymous said...

I do not have any of the advantages of having Native American and Latino blood (i.e., I have no cheekbones), but I do have the hair. Why do I have to be a bloated German gal with a 'stache? So feeling you on this one. Would never have the patience to wait all that time.

Hey, try at four weeks and see if it's enough growth! People's hair grows at different rates.

jen said...

TMI or not - really funny! (I don't think I could endure 4-6 weeks either - yikes!)