Monday, February 07, 2011

Home is Where the Heart Is


The last ten days were nothing like I expected. I thought I would have time to blog and crochet while I waited by my mom's bedside. I learned its hard to focus on anything else when someone you love is struggling...

The good news is that my mom is doing well. Its been tough, but she's a trooper!

For those of you who hadn't heard, my mom had a quadruple Coronary Artery Bypass Graph thirteen days ago. 

I went home to Arizona to be with her and my dad. I just returned home last night.

Life carried on here in The La Vida House while I was away. There were basketball games and birthday parties and even some house cleaning! Everybody stayed fed and watered and managed to get exactly where they needed to be at the right time and day.

I'm thankful for My Mister. He did a good job. 

I want to catch you up on the last 10 days, specifically things I am grateful for... but I am still processing through much of it.... so lets talk about crochet!

The day before I left, I tricked my friend Becky into coming over for lunch with full intentions of putting her to work. 

She too is a crafty girl who knows how to crochet, so we made this heart garland for my moms hospital room.


I followed this pattern  but I added a twist....on Round Three I added a picot on the second of the three single crochets that make up the point. I wanted my hearts a little more pointy.

We whipped this project out in a couple of hours and still had time to eat grilled cheese sandwiches with salad. And these amazing cookies that The Girl made... which were very easy and pretty delicious! The recipe yields 7-8 large cookies, but the caloric intake is frightening. We made smaller cookies and got double the amount.


We were all quite proud of ourselves!

In all the busyness in Tucson I forgot to take a picture of the bunting hung in her hospital room; it made it look a lot more cheery. 

Right now its hanging in her own bedroom, so she'll know that my heart is with her as she recovers....

Tomorrow I'll show you an adorable (if I don't say so myself!) spring-time hat I made before I left. But right now I'm going to brew another cup of coffee and go hang out with my kids...

xoxo

8 comments:

Kim said...

you are so adorable! Glad you are back home! So glad your Mama is doing well. Hope to run into you around town this week :)

Tracey said...

Glad you are home...and very happy that your momma is doing better.

Love talking about picots on your blog :D

Natalie said...

Glad your mom is feeling well! It was a wonderful idea to hang that beautiful heart garland in your mom's room!

Candace said...

Super cute garland! Impressive!!! Glad you got home safely. :)

Lara said...

Now I'm going to have to go look up piquot (or what ever it was you did to make it pointy). Your hearts are precious!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I'm glad you're home and that your mom is doing better. Your little birthday girl is adorable!!! And so are those hats and that garland. So cute.

Gretchen said...

In love with that pointy-heart little garland, I tell you. In love.

Becca @ My Crazy Good Life said...

See? I really don't like being out of the loop for so long. I'm sorry that I missed this, and wish that I could have wished your Mom well before now.
I'm glad you were with her, and that she's recovering.