Saturday, February 26, 2011

Love and a Chicken Pot Pie

Celebrations.

I love 'em.

Yesterday my dear friend, K2, celebrated her 29th birthday.

Again.

I am just glad she was willing to spend the day with me.

We dined on Homemade Chicken Pot Pie...which is where the title of this post comes in.

I was so excited to show it to you...

And then I forgot to take a picture.

We also had a wonderful salad that was delicious (thanks Becky!) and then we got down to the real reason we had gathered today.


This is the Yellow Cake with Double Chocolate Frosting from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook. And it's as good as 4 sticks of butter can be...really, really delish.

Oh it was rich, but the coffee (with a splash of Italian Sweet Creme) cut the sweetness perfectly.

Here we are, looking happy and sweet.

I love to decorate a table. Really love it, but I never know what the table will look like until the day I put it all together. Usually, 30 minutes before the party starts I am scrambling around the house trying to find ways to make the table look pretty. Very, very rarely is it pre-planned.

Late Thursday night I decided we needed a festive birthday banner so I cut scrapbook paper into triangles and sewed them into some double-sided binding. I just zipped them through my sewing machine...didn't use pins or nothin'.

If that isn't living-on-the-edge, I don't know what is.


The Girl was recruited in some paper-flower making while I threw some scrap fabric on the table. A banner, some tulle, some candles and flowers and, voila! A decorated table.

The Girl wanted to sprinkle fine glitter all over the table, but I axed that idea, as good as it was.
Sometimes there really can be too much of a good thing. Plus glitter is tough to get out of the carpet.

So it was a fun little soirée. Looking forward to doing it again soon!

5 comments:

Gretchen said...

"I axed that idea, as good as it was." Giggle.

Looks like a lurvely time was had by all. That cake looks g.l.o.r.i.o.u.s.

Tracey said...

What a sweet time. The cake looks lovely.

I am now craving a cup of coffee with splash of Italian Creme...hmmmm..maybe Irish Creme will do. Must go find my husband to make some coffee.

Toodles.

Charity said...

Aww, such fun. I miss all of you ladies. Wish I could've been there to celebrate K2's 29th birthday ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh it was rich, but the coffee (with a splash of Italian Sweet Creme) cut the sweetness perfectly.

You're talking my love language... You often do.

Not to be redundant, but the celebration (and the decorations)looked divine!

Sandy said...

What fun, creative, & pretty party decor!
I'm still trying to get glitter out of carpet from Christmas... it was on some ribbon I used, & pretty as it was, I won't be using that ribbon again!