Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Random Thoughts from Kellie's Brain: Ancient History

In 20 minutes I'm going to be teaching on Ancient Greece to a handful of bright grammar students.

I really should have listened to Mrs. Rod when I she taught on Ancient History in the eighth grade.

I know she taught us all about the war of Marathon and about a guy named Xerxes; I am sure we read about conflict between the Greeks and Persians, but for the life of me, I cannot remember.

So, I'm learning all over again.

What I DO remember is going to retreat many, many years ago when my kids were babies. The speaker was the wife of a professor from Dallas Seminary. She had been married for many decades and was enjoying the retired years.

I have no idea what her theme was that weekend but I remember two things: That in her house, when she was raising kids and set boundaries that were of the utmost of importance, she told them they were bound by the "Law of the Medes and Persians," which meant that that rule could not, under any circumstances, be broken. Or else.

After studying ancient history this week, I finally I understand what she was talking about.

The second thing I took home from that weekend is probably the BEST piece of marital advice I have ever received: Feed your man.

She said that if you ever needed to tell him something important, or ask for something, or generally need him to be attentive...the best way to do that was to make sure his belly was full.

She was absolutely right.

That bit of advice will never be ancient history.

And that is this months installment of Random Thoughts from Kellie's Brain.

1 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I know all about Xerxes and the laws of the Medes and Persians from my Esther study!!! (And from some Bible classes I took in college). Have you done Beth Moore's Esther? It is FABULOUS!