Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thinky Thursday



The kids are still asleep and the house is wonderfully quiet.

Last night was family night. We got pulverized by The Boy in Scrabble.

Pul-ver-ized.

Which is ironic, since he can't spell to save his life...he can read at an amazingly hight level, but spelling?  Not so much.

But somehow, in that charming way he has, he won the Scrabble game last night.

It was exhausting.

The Girl was, at first, excited about Scrabble, since she can spell - often words she has never even heard before -  she was lamenting our vote over Rummikub. A game in which she rarely loses.

Uno is used to be my favorite game...only I think they hid the cards from me after this event.

Anyway, we were up a little later than expected...

So, here we are...

I'm sipping coffee, and they get to sleep in.

Its' a win-win if I ever knew one.

Honestly, I'm feeling a little think-y this Thursday morning. All week month actually.

Been meditating over Hebrews 13:5 -

"...God has said, "Never will I leave you, nor will I forsake you."

I've recited this verse so many times to the kids over the years. When they feel insecure or when they have issues with friends; when they are uncertain or fearful.

I know it was Providence that I have been thinking on this verse. Truth is, I've been feeling a little fearful myself.

OK, a lot fearful.

Its not any one-thing that has got me scared, but a culmination of things. This new year has been wrought with issues and situations that have been out of my control. Even when I tried desperately to control them.

Some little things...some big.

Some not even rational fears.

But God is in them all.

How do I know?

Because "God has assured us...

'I'll never let you down, never walk off and leave you,' we can boldly say,
God is there, ready to help;
I'm fearless no matter what.
Who or what can get to me?"

I am at a loss of words this morning to express my heart in a way that is concise. So I will leave you with these words from Spurgeon's Morning and Evening Devotional:

Be thou bold to believe, for he hath said, “I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.”In this promise, God gives to his people everything. “I will never leave thee.” Then no attribute of God can cease to be engaged for us. Is he mighty? He will show himself strong on the behalf of them that trust him. Is he love? Then with lovingkindness will he have mercy upon us. Whatever attributes may compose the character of Deity, every one of them to its fullest extent shall be engaged on our side. To put everything in one, there is nothing you can want, there is nothing you can ask for, there is nothing you can need in time or in eternity, there is nothing living, nothing dying, there is nothing in this world, nothing in the next world, there is nothing now, nothing at the resurrection-morning, nothing in heaven which is not contained in this text—“I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” (Morning, February 23)
The things I worry about - situations that make me fearful; the people I love; the friends I cherish; the children I raise; the man I married; the mountains I climb; the storms I must weather...will not be tended to alone.

God will not leave us.

Nor me.

Nor you.

He will not leave.

That is a comfort to me on this thinky Thursday morning. I hope to you too....

(xoxo)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, so, so true. Why do we so easily forget? Thank you for sharing these thoughts. We all need the reminder.

Deena said...

Thanks for the encouraging message today. Have a blessed day!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Got some fear going on here over a few issues...and I really needed to hear this today. LOVE the scrabble tile pic too. Very clever.

Gretchen said...

Thank you. Lurve your thinky little heart. Will say a prayer for your peace which will surpass understanding, in Him.

Claudia Fotin said...

hey... so I've been over your blog a few times... and yes! not only on a thinky thursday, but also on a manic monday, we all need a reminder of how much God loves us... I'm considering putting that on my cellphone! :) Peace be with you, and hope to get all your work done!