Friday, February 11, 2011

The Mercy of Winter

This week has been an interesting blend of catch-up and slow-down.

I think I felt a little bit of Spring fever this week.

I'm ready for some warm weather...

To get my hands out of the yarn...


 ... and into the earth.

I bought cucumbers and tomatoes this week at the store and longed to just pluck them from my garden.

I found myself looking for signs in the yard that spring is coming...

Where are the daffodils?

The Camellia?

I know its only the 11th of February... but it's that time of year when I long to see an end to cold. I want to feast my senses on the sights, sounds, smells and tangible hopes that come from the thawing of the earth.

Right now, in this resting time, when things are held back in sleep, I must choose to see the Mercy in winter... must plan to remember that... God set the boundaries of the earth, and made both summer and winter. (Psalm 74:17, emphasis mine), for His purpose and glory. 


Currently, its 19 degrees outside. Outside my window it looks like this:


But what rests beneath the dull-brown, seemingly life-less, branches is this:


In the fullness of His grace, we cannot have one without the other.

There is Mercy in winter... so I'll thrown on another scarf, a hat, some mittens...


... and patiently wait for spring.

8 comments:

His Girl said...

beautiful post. beautiful.

Gretchen said...

I.miss.you! This post was so soothing, my friend. Lurve.

Unknown said...

Thank you for putting into words - as only you can - what my heart is feeling.

I love winter and snow and bundling up and being holed up in the house... for a while, anyway. :)

Heather J. said...

I love it, Kellie. Even though we don't truly have a winter here in Tucson, I believe this also speaks to the seasons of our souls.

Melissa Angert {All Things Chic} said...

beautiful post!

p.s. what is that yummy gray thing in your knitting basket?

Kim said...

Amen girl! I am patiently waiting with you!

SandyM said...

What a good reminder to me to stop grumbling about the cold (as I sit in front of my fireplace with the blower on...)

To answer your questions on my blog: I used new bulbs for the Paper Whites (I think you can use them again, but I didn't know what the process was & just tossed them). You should still be able to find them @ the big-box stores (Lowes, maybe Walmart, etc.) or a nursery. They like a really shallow bowl/pot.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Trying to be content with winter...we're in the thick of it...but longing for some spring.