Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Oh Happy Day!

I just got word that my sweet friend Charity had her baby very early this morning! I don't want to steal her moment by posting before she has a chance to post, but I'm sure her blog will be updated at some point soon, so be sure to go over and see the baby!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch we are neck deep in schoolwork. Which is satisfying, and also very much like daily knocking your head into a wall. Somedays, you go back see that wall multiple times...just because it feels so good.

Normally I manage to keep a positive spin on things, but I think I may have underestimated teaching both a teenager and a preteen at the same time. For I am out-numbered and apparently, I've lost all credibility and must be challenged on all sorts of reasoning.

I never did this as a preteen or a teenager...I never "knew it all"...I never had to be told fifty-bagillion times to do things...at least thats the way I remembered it. Plus, I didn't have the luxury of being educated at home...I had to walk to school up hill, in the desert, with the blistering heat without shoes...both ways!

My kids are also prone to exaggerating.

I think they get that from their Dad.

But I digress...

(But thank you for letting me vent)

Where was I?

Oh! Happy Day! That's where I was....

I have been happily crocheting while at soccer practice, and when I have 10 or 15 minutes in between coming and going...so i've finished a couple of projects.

You'd like to see them? 

Why I thought you'd never ask!

Here they are:


I made this shrug, and it didn't come out quite like I envisioned. It's a bit bulky and makes me feel, well, I won't go there...but maybe I won't be concerned about vanity when it gets cold outside. We'll see.

This pic is a little blurry. I thought about asking the kids to stop studying to take my picture, but then decided that might be bad form.

I also had a couple of custom orders for hats, which I am 50% finished (although this pic is a couple days old so these aren't quite done.)

All right, my pre-algebra student is here and wants the computer to do his math (of all things!)

I hope you have a great day!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Great job on the shrug! It should be perfect for cooler weather coming soon! Love the hats, too!

Anonymous said...

ooo I like the shrug! The pumpkin hat is stinking adorable!!!!! I think Sammy would look so cute in one of those :-)

Rebecca said...

Woohoo! Cute hats! Is it weird that I'm so excited? :) And I actually think the shrug looks cute on you, not bulky at all.

Tracey said...

I love the shrug. Was it difficult? I'm kinda scared to try anything but rectangle baby blankets.

Concerning the preteen / teenager issues, you and I are living parallel lives..just a few minutes apart from each other.

Based on behavior of my older two, I am officially an idiot. I'm looking forward to finding my brain again in about 5-7 years, when said children are 18 - 20 years of age.

I've decided to take notes on their behavior and prepare a plan of retaliation that will kick in when I'm 80+ and have to live with one of them. :D

Hang in there...coffee helps.

O Mom said...

pumpkin hat...love it!!

Such The Spot said...

Seriously cute projects, friend. Shrug included. :)

Carpool Queen said...

My next project will be a hat, I think. I'll have you crochet the flowers to attach, because I CANNOT CROCHET.

There, I said it.