Friday, August 20, 2010

Read With Me: Why Are We Reading Anyway?

*In January, a group of bloggers decided to read through the Bible in a year. This post is for them, and for anyone who may need encouragement to read the Bible.

Hello Read With Me friends!

Tanya is on a much needed vacation this and next week, so it is my privilege to fill our fearless (and faith-full!) leader's shoes.

So how are you doing?

Or wait...

Instead, tell me what you are learning?

We are nearly 3/4's finished with this shin-dig. But then again, maybe we're not.

Today I am going to share a quote that I have in my bible, on the very first blank page after the cover: (I scanned it so you would know its true)



If you can't read it, it says:
Why study the Bible?
Because for the Christian (for Kellie) it is more than a duty, it provides protection for the daily battle, comfort for dashed hopes, and continuing education for a live that is worth living.
-Howard Hendrix*
 I got a little behind in the Old Testament passages this summer. It was hard for me to keep up with the time when kings go to war, when it was the time to read literature poolside.

I did read a little every day  every other day (ish) and managed to keep up in the other sections.

Three weeks ago, when I decided to transition from the laid-back summer schedule to the more-structured school year schedule, I was tempted to despair...How in the world was I going to catch up? And finish with all y'all?

Amazingly, I opened up my Bible to that Hendrix quote, hand-written so long ago that I had forgotten it was there.

Y'all, are you like me? Do you need a reminder that this isn't a race, or a duty, or a To-Do List we get to scratch out every day?

Do you need to be encouraged to approach your reading with daily protection, encouragement, and wisdom for the daily battle of life, in mind?

I do.

As Abe Lincoln said, "Endeavor to persevere" my friends! You can do this. You can finish. But more importantly, you will come out better for it when you are done.

So, don't tell me where you land in the Read With Me schedule, because it really doesn't matter. Instead, tell me: How you have felt protected, or encouraged, or inspired toward a life worth living?

I tell you what I've learned in the comments too!

Happy Friday!

* I do believe I took the quote from a book entitled Living by the Book by Howard Hendricks. I do not know which page the quote is located on. Unfortunately, in my written quote the authors name has been misspelled.

2 comments:

Kecia said...

What a great quote! I'm going to have to write that one down. At first I thought that H.H. had signed your Bible. I was quite confused about his last name!

Jessica Fuller said...

Just was over at Tanya's site and saw the link to check in here. I haven't checked in in sooooooo long, but I'm still reading!!! I actually got caught up for the month of August ahead of schedule which is huge for me!
I am so loving reading the OT. For once in my life the history of events is really starting to make sense and I love it!
Anyway...so glad I clicked over here for the check-in. I love what I've read of your blog so far. I plan to be back. :)