Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Walk in the Woods


Today is overcast and a bit on the cool side.

Its a perfect morning to put on a sweatshirt, grab a cup of coffee and go for a walk in the woods of our happy little acre.

Wanna come with me?

Right out the front door...

Azalea's galore...

There are some in the back too, in colors of light pink, lavender, and these...


You can't tell in this photo, but they are an amazing orangey pink (salmon color)....

Last weekend while The Mister was building the swing, The Girl and her friend built a "girls-only fort" in the yard, using some wood and some tree branches.

Please take note that their "vase" is a good glass from my kitchen. 



I had to bite my tongue from protesting...after all, it is beautiful on the mantle of their little house.

Let's move on...

Can I tell you what surprises me every year?

The irises: I did not plant them. I cannot make them grow . As a matter of fact, the bleakness of winter and the harsh reality of cold completely erases them from my memory.

At first that may sound sad, but its not.

Every year I give thanks, because it feels like a gift I forgot to ask for.

A beautifully wrapped...


...perfectly made gift.

I am amazed by it all.

Amazed....that in just the span of 20 days my yard can look like this:
...and turn into this:
Amazing.

What amazes you today?

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

Pretty flowers! : )

Andrea said...

Beautiful:-)

Unknown said...

Kellie,
Your yard is beautiful...so peaceful. Love your vegetable garden area!

The swing your hubby made is very cool. My kids would adore it! I love the picture of your daughter with her hand on your son's shoulder watching their dad....so sweet.

It is raining so hard here this morning but I amazed at the security the sound of the rain makes me feel while it's still dark out and my kids are still asleep. Maybe I just am amazed that I get to be protected and warm in my home under a secure roof knowing my kiddos are safe.

Have a great day!

Jen said...

How pretty! Enjoy your day!

Kristin said...

God's timing completely amazed me today -- I ran into my freshman year college roommate at the dollar store today, after 18 years.

Candace said...

Beautiful! That is, indeed, amazing!!!!

And what amazes me? I don't want to complain, but it amazes me how long it takes me to do simple things at 36 weeks pregnant! Even getting in and out of the car- twice as long. It's amazing. :)

Carpool Queen said...

I'm amazed at how crafty your tribe is.

Such The Spot said...

Well no wonder you want to sit in the yard with a glass of Merlot (or Riesling). I would too, if that were my yard. It's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

okay.. I seriously need to make a trip to your house! I love all of the flowers and scenery! Good job biting your tongue about the vase.. you are a brave woman!

Amber said...

My boys have a fort construction project going on in our back woods. But theirs doesn't have flowers.

I like the girly fort better.

Tiffani said...

oh so beautiful!

I just said to Adam the other day that our backyard is so lush and green in what seems a matter of days!!

I'm amazed that God loves me. But so very glad He does!

Deidre said...

Beautiful.

I love that the girls used the vase to spruce up 'their place'.

whimzie said...

I would love to hang out in that yard.