Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Swinging From Trees




The Girl has been wanting a swing for the longest time.

Not a swing set, but a swing among the trees.

Her Dad was happy to oblige and while he thought and planned and came up with ideas, the kids tied ropes in other trees and generally behaved like monkeys.

I tended my garden and tried not to watch as The Mister balanced on ladders all too high, with heavy lumber in one hand, power tools in the other.

I had to choke down words that were not really meant for him....words of affirmation, such as "Be careful. Don't slip! Do you think that ladder is secure?"

Saying them makes me feel better, but don't really help him.

But when I saw this:

I'll admit, I panicked.

I yelled, "Your Dad may have let you climb up there but this will be the last time!"


"Oh, and also... Be careful! Don't slip!"

Here's the reaction I got.

He looks scared doesn't he?

Turns out, I'll be losing that battle. Word from The Misters Workbench is that there is a zip line and a modified tree house in the works. Its a secret, which is why I'm telling you.

I'll pretend to be frightened.

Yes, I'll huff and puff like good mama's do.

And then I'll sit back in my yard and watch the monkeys play.

11 comments:

O Mom said...

High five to your husband!

Carpool Queen said...

The first day we let the boys climb the ladder into the attic, their chests swelled with pride and they aged right before my eyes.

My very tightly shut eyes.

Jen said...

Awwww....what a great daddy!! What FUN. And look at those trees! Griffin was just telling me yesterday he wanted to climb a tree so badly.
Note to self: must.buy.house so boy-child can climb tree.
So huff and puff all you need to, mama Kellie, but your kids are so lucky!
though I admit, I'd be skeered to death if my boys were sitting atop a ladder precariously balanced between two trees!

Becca @ My Crazy Good Life said...

Father of the year!!!

That's SO cool. My kids need a zip line!!

lisa@littlesliceoflife said...

HOW FUN!!!

However, I must not let my Hubs see this post or else I too will have a zip line in the back yard.

Anonymous said...

oo my goodness! This girl loves monkey swings!!! ahh just had childhood memories rush back.. all good.. except the one where my uncle tried to use the monkey swing.. but don't worry hes still alive an well.. :-)

Amber said...

Boy, your Mister is a handy Mister!!

And I'm laughing at Lisa's comment..because I know her husband...and she is SO right. Monkey See, Monkey Do that one.

Looks like lots of outdoorsy fun ahead at the CoffeeHouse.

Gretchen said...

Wow! Memories will be made. And perhaps a couple of blisters & skinned knees, too. It's all good.

Tracey said...

Love this..especially the thumbs up! What a great dad! (and MOM!)

Lori said...

Wow - your yard is amazing! A paradise for kids and gardeners! :)

Anonymous said...

The skydiving, bungee jumping part of me says, "WOO HOO! Can I come over?" The mom part of me says, "YIKES!! I hope my kids don't see this!"