Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Dreams

* This post was originally a comment I made on a post written by Whimzie of Snoodlings .  Recently I had a conversation with a friend on how life often works out differently than we envisioned or planned. So I thought I would share my thoughts here too.

~~~~~

As a kid and young adult I wanted to be a performer or dancer.
I had to let go of that dream.
Sometimes (specifically, some certain-times-of-the-month times) I still ache from the loss of that dream.
But that wasn’t God’s dream for me.
I dreamed of stardom, beauty, and grace. My dream was to be center-stage.
God’s dream for my life? 
One that is robust, and full. Multifaceted. 
It certainly wouldn’t have fit into my tiny, limited, romantic notion of what I thought I wanted my life to look like and be.
The life I live is His dream for me. And, now, I wouldn’t have it any other way. 
Being a wife, mom, friend, and teacher is far more fitting than the slim picture I had envisioned for my life. Sometimes I still dream that pink, tulle-y, self-focused dream and I forget that God has called me to a deep and filling life. A humble life that isn’t supposed to hold ME at center-stage.
His dream for me is worth earthly dreams set aside.
The Lord reminded me of His call to this humble service this morning when I flipped to 1 Cor 1:26-31 .
Yes, I agree. There are times in life when God calls us to stop “doing”, especially when the “doing” isn’t the “best” for us. But often the “do/be” is one in the same: to sit with our faces lifted to Him, watching, waiting, listening for Him to tell us who we are, and who He purposes us to become.
And the good news? As long as we keep our eyes focused on the Lord, there are no worries about what we want to be when we grow up, cuz we’ll always be growing in Him.
Until one day…
That beautiful day when we will be right where we want to be, doing exactly what we were made to do, gazing face-to-face with the Person we want to see…
Dream fulfilled.

11 comments:

Amy said...

When God slowly reveals his dreams for us, it's like opening a present. Oh, what we miss when we think our plan is better than His!

Candace said...

Longing for that Day with you, my friend!!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! I still ache for the dream I gave up. I am not sure I will ever understand "why" but I know its God's plan for my life. But that doesn't make it an easy pill to swallow all the time!

O Mom said...

BeaUtiful!

Lori said...

You're a gem! Thanks for sharing. Sometimes it's hard to give up our dreams and surrender to God's plan for our lives, but in the end there's no where else I'd rather be. :) Blessings on your day!

lisa@littlesliceoflife said...

Lovely post, Kellie. And timely too since I have a teenage daughter in the midst of dreaming dreams for her life.

Carpool Queen said...

This ties in so well with what Whimz said about loving our dreams or our dream giver.

Anonymous said...

So providential that you brought this back today. Fits in with what God taught me through a book I just read. I've written about part of what I learned, but I still need to write/process the part that dealt specifically with my dreams.

You are so wise, friend.

Anonymous said...

So providential that you brought this back today. Fits in with what God taught me through a book I just read. I've written about part of what I learned, but I still need to write/process the part that dealt specifically with my dreams.

You are so wise, friend.

Such The Spot said...

This was originally a comment? Wow. It speaks to me in so many different ways. I love how you have such clarity on things and how you so eloquently share that clarity here often times.

Lee said...

Beautifully written and how funny that we both posted such similar stories! God must have had something in mind! Blessings to you!
Lee