Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Power of Green

For almost 14 years now, when The Mister and I share m&m candies, he always encourages me to eat the green ones. 

Imagine my surprise when I saw the  all green m&ms on sale in the newspaper a couple of weeks ago. I knew I would buy some for him.

Meaning, I would be a sacrificial wife, and eat them for The Mister...cuz y'all know the story behind the green m&m's, right? They are known around the world for their   "Special Powers"

Of course in high school that's not exactly how they said it- but this is a family friendly blog.

I quickly ran into T@rget yesterday for a few asunder items, so I moseyed to the Valentines section and picked up a bag of Greens.

On the front of the package is a picture of Ms. Green with her sultry eyes and sassy way. Her tag line reads: Sweetie, it's all true...

I thought it was so funny I was laughing out loud, and for half a second felt a tad self-conscious with a bunch of college girls standing around contemplating what candy they should get for the sorority Valentines Mixer. I'm sure they thought I was a fry short of a happy meal. But someday, when they are married to a man they've adored for fourteen years, they'll understand.

Sweetie, it's all true...still makes me smile just thinking about it.

I picked up a package and brought them home.

The kids were helping me unload groceries out of the car (I had been to Sam's Club too) and the questions started to form: Why are they all green? What's all true? I thought Valentine's Day was about red and pink? Why is green a new color for Valentine's Day?  Is it because they are trying to be green for the environment? Why won't you let us open them? Why are they just for Daddy? 

Oh for goodness sake! You spend all their infancy looking forward to the day when they will be able to talk, and read, and be inquisitive about the world around them...and when they can, you wish they'd mind their own business!

(I told them it was because lots of people really like the greens ones....although I am partial to yellow.)

Happy Saturday!

11 comments:

Tiffani said...

This is sooo FUNNY!!! I love it! Especially thinking about the college girls!!

You did great "disguising" for you kiddos! I thought I'd die laughing when one of them said "is it about the enviornment??!!" I hooted! My kids are the same way but it's actually mainly JuJu...in her little teeny 4 year old self says "why did you get that for Daddy?? Is it because you're married to him and you LIKE him??"

But, yes, I LOVE being in love after almost 11 years..it just gets better with age...like good wine...or cheese! :) Enjoy those greens, girl! What did the Mister think???

Anonymous said...

I saw a bag of those at Fry's yesterday too and, although I was a little annoyed because I needed the reds, pinks, and whites for a cupcake project Kennedy is up to, I thought it was brilliant marketing by the M&M people.

And I can just see those college girls scootin' inconspicuously down the candy aisle trying to avoid the crazy lady with the green M&M's. :)

Oh, and of course the kids minding their own business part? Don't I know it!

I can't wait to hear what the Mister has to say when you share this story with him!

Lindsay said...

hehe I love it!! Glad you found some all green ones :-)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

How funny, Kellie.

I wish I liked M&Ms (weird, freak, unAmerican--I know) but I may just have to buy some for J and "pretend" to like them. He'd be happy with that.

TJ Wilson said...

Hilarious. Will be on the lookout...

Woman Interrupted said...

Hee Hee!

So green M&Ms are your "green light," so to speak...

jen said...

Shhh - I bought a bag of those for my Mister too. My kids also asked (probably because I was laughing out loud when I picked them up); I told them, "Daddy just likes the greens...and shhhh, don't tell him I bought these."

Carrie and Jim said...

Going green never sounded so fun! Ha, that's a good one!

Allison said...

So cute!!!! I'll have to go and see if I can find a bag for myself!

I like your kids' comment about it being for the environment as the reason for the all green! I think I might have quickly responded, "Yes, that is why!"

His Girl said...

*giggle* totally going to copy you ;)

Ashley Pichea [PicheaPlace.com] said...

a coworker picked up a bag of those last year, thinking that they were out awfully early for st. patty's day... haha... i ate a few with the joke that i was going to get pregnant from eating them... i delivered in september! :)