Wednesday, February 04, 2009

When Life Feels Hard


I'm taking a blogging break this week.  

We have friends that are in need of prayer. Their hearts are broken in ways that I haven't experienced, but I know that somehow, even though I cannot begin to understand or remotely see, God will prevail. 

I was reminded this morning that we have the great promises of God in Revelation 21:4:

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
Why do bad things happen to good people?  There isn't one good answer that can assuage my heart in this moment...but I do know this: God's word says that He loves us. 

I've been a Christian for a long time now, but that doesn't mean that I don't question trials. Being a Christian doesn't mean I don't ask questions when it feels like God has turned His face away; or wonder what on earth His plan could be. But I know that His promises are true. 

When I see hard things happen to good people, I take comfort in Romans 8:35, 38-39:

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?...For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
We can question. We can cry. We can wonder what God is doing when the unexpected happens, but through all the unknowing we can rest in His love.

I was reading a chapter of Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver, and this paragraph says it all:
Trials are real. Bad things happen-to good people and bad people alike. And we who are Christian don't escape life, Paul says. We overcome life: "In all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." (Romans 8:37)
In all these things...we are more than conquerors through Him who loves us...

Oh Lord, may it be as you have promised for our heart-broken friends...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for your and your friends...

Tiffani said...

my heart is heavy for you and your friends and your words are so true, so comforting and so appropriate...

I just recently saw Beth Moore and one of the things that she said that really stuck with me is this:

"praise Him now, feel it later"

And I just said "Yes, Lord!" How often that I think when I don't understand/know what's going on or how to handle it that if I feel bad or don't THINK I feel His presence He is there!! So, I go on praising and STILL not feeling Him...I think where are YOU?? May be working behind the scenes but HE is there!! So, praise Him anyway, right?! Even if we don't "feel" Him right away...:)

Thinking of this family and you too! Much love!

Anonymous said...

I'm teaching a Bible study on Ruth and Naomi. One of the issues we're discussing is when and how it's okay to question God. What benefits come from that? It's been an interesting study. He does so much that we can never understand, but you're right -- He loves us. He loves us more than we'll ever fully understand this side of eternity. We also know He is wise beyond all things. While these truths don't help us understand, they do make it easier to persevere.

Praying for you and your friends today.

Lindsay said...

I will be praying for your friends!

Megan O. said...

I'm sorry to hear that your friends are hurting. I know that God will use you to be a comfort to them. Praying for you.

meh said...

Praying!

Jewel said...

I just started reading your blog and this post really struck a cord because I'm sort of there too. Thanks for sharing your encouragement. I'm sure you are a true comfort to your friends! In response to another post where you asked for a worship song I love that Jeremy Camp song "There Will Be a Day". The verses you quoted above made me think of it.

jen said...

I'm sorry to hear that this time is hard - for you and your friends. May you have the grace and strength to be just what they need to weather this storm, and may your faith be strengthened through this!

Woman Interrupted said...

I am sorry. Trials are hard and you do get to ask for help and comfort to get through them!

One explanation I have heard for why good Christians suffer is that non Christians look to us to see how we deal with life's pain and challenges and when we come out stronger than before, they see evidence of God's work in our lives.