Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Capricious Crafter

Hey y'all...

Did you know that when I started my adult life in the southernmost part of the United States, I swore I would never say y'all?

It didn't last long, and now I am a proud, card-carrying member, of the Y'all speakers.

Sometimes I even go for the glory with an all y'all, but those are special, and must not be used too often.

But that's not what I came here to say...

What I really wanted to say, y'all, was that I am going to take a bloggers break for the rest of this week.

I'm workin' mighty-hard, (ok, the y'all's have got me typin' with a Texas twang) this week on a few projects.

The first is trying to figure out how to make a slightly larger, sweet four-year-old, version of the crochet hat I shared with you on Friday. I made one yesterday and it turned out too big.

The Girl appreciated my learning curve as she ran out for drama camp this morning...in her new flowered crochet cloche. So today I have been working on down sizing a bit.

The other project I've got going is Christmas stuff...yes, Christmas.

For several years I have made gifts for my nieces and nephews. As they get older and more sophisticated, its getting a little bit more challenging in some ways, and easier in others. But I am almost certain I have narrowed down the gifts for my nieces.  Here is a sneak peek at the might-be-the-christmas-gifts-for-nieces-work-in-progress...

Right now the flowers are just pinned on and I'm trying to decide if i want to add a few more rows to the trim... decisions, decisions.

I think I would do each hat in the girls fave color and do a mix of flowers.

Not sure what I'm doing for the nephews yet, but I am certain I am going to make this for The Boy because he has been asking me to let him have a mohawk for about a year.  I'm going to love laughing on Christmas morning when I tell him he can finally have his mohawk.

I will admit to you that I am a bit obsessed focused on these projects at the moment. And I have a tendency to forget all other things when in this mode....eating? cleaning? working out? what are those things?

I'm in the crochet zone.


Ah, the life of a capricious crafter.

Have a great week, y'all.

15 comments:

Gretchen said...

yay! I'm thinking of Christmas crafts, too! AND, I think you need to come over and help me with my crocheting. Yes...for I want to be capricious, too.

Anonymous said...

ooo ooo love that hat! Love the one you are thinking about for The Boy!! I have started writing out my list of what I am making everyone for Christmas well and buying.. but I am a planner what can I say!!

Amber said...

That mohawk hat is cracking.me.up. So stinkin' funny.

Enjoy your craftiness, friend.

Tanya said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that hat!!! I want one for me, too. :)

Carpool Queen said...

That hat is adorable, but I can't crochet, so I think I'll knit it. We may have to have a refresher course on how to make the flowers.

Tracey said...

I am SO crocheting tonight! No leson planning, no school room cleaning, just crocheting!

Thanks for the inspiration...love, love, love the hat. (anyway you could post a photo of your sweet girl in her new hat?)

Enjoy the week in the 'zone'..see you on the other side!

O Mom said...

The Mohawk hat is awesome! So is that adorable blue one, love the contrasting color of the flower.

Elizabeth said...

I need friends like you because I don't craft anything, and I enjoy reading about others' crafts. I wish I could say it inspires me, but all it really does is make me want to shop! I'll take a few of those hats for my nieces, too:)

I say y'all all the time, but I never write it. Never.

Kecia said...

Haha. LOVE the mohawk hat. I almost laughed out loud when I saw it, especially picturing it on The Boy. I can see him wearing it now, and I know he will.

You are doing such a great job on those hats! They are so very cute.

As for the watermelon cookies that I missed on Sunday, I will have to try that with my kiddos. Looks like a fun time.

Sandy said...

You are SO talented!!!! have fun this week w/your crocheting!

whimzie said...

That hat looks so very Mary Engelbreit! I love it!!

I wish I were gifted in the arts of needle crafts.

Jen said...

i adore that hat!! i wish i could crochet. i have no talent. my poor aunt has tried to teach me to crochet since i was 6. i'm now 44. and still can't make a stitch.

but my precious anne claire would LOVE that hat. you should make a few extras and sell them to your friends. ahem. hint, hint. :)

lisa@littlesliceoflife said...

That hat is adorable! I wish I could crochet. I can't believe you're already thinking about Christmas! You are so smart. I'll wait until Dec. 1st and then panic.

Amy said...

Another gorgeous hat!! Please share the pattern modification when you work it out for the 4 yo size!

Wow, I'm a native (minus several years out of state) and hardly ever use the powerful "all y'all."

Gretchen said...

Um... can I be your niece??

LOVE the hat. And the flower makes me very happy because it could be used in so many ways with so many outfits.