Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mostly 'Bout Nothin'



The Mister has been home this week and it has been so nice.

He had some time off during the holidays, and that was good too. But this time, when there aren't a thousand and one activities, or things that have to be done, its better.

Not that he's been idle.

Cuz, I sort of capitalized on his being here,and had an eensy-weensy, little, project for him.

He's building these for my office.

He has spent the last two days working in the garage while I taught school.

Let me tell you what I love about him being home.... I love moments like the one that happened at 3:30 yesterday afternoon-- I made a pot of coffee and heated up two leftover banana chocolate chip scones, and invited him to come in for awhile.

He happily obliged.


And for 30 minutes we sat at the kitchen table and talked about everything-- and nothing. Love that.

Of all the people I enjoy sipping coffee with, he's my favorite.

Back to those shelves he's building...

The unfortunate part of getting new shelves is that I need to clean and organize my craft room, which has been a perpetual state of chaos since Thanksgiving.

You see the problem is that I have this big basket of wool yarn that I bought and in my attempt to ignore winter I have become a chronic flower maker, in hopes of making spring come early.


I tried my hand at a headband and it turned out all right.


The Girl considered using it as a neck warmer, but it seems that wool is a bit scratchy.


In my knitting craze, I decided to try to felt some knit wool and make flowers out it.

This is when I realized I might be allergic to wool.

But I'm having fun, so what's a few hives?

Hmmm.....what else can I tell you?

This morning i'm feeling a little queasy because last night I got 4 tweets/emails/texts, from four different moms (in four different states!) asking for prayer because the stomach virus had viciously hit their homes.

This makes me scared. I despise stomach bugs. Maybe its because for some odd reason, every emotion I feel is connected to my stomach. I get queasy if I'm nervous, sad, angry, excited, bitter, happy or any emotion in between...but nothing makes me more nervous than a stomach bug.

Let's change the subject....

Today we are taking a break from (written) school work and will go on a field trip. We aren't exactly sure where we are going, but we know that getting out of the house would be good today, while the weather is supposed to warm up a few degrees (before it plummets again!).

Happy Wednesday!

22 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Have a fun field trip day! They were always my favorite days.

I'd be happy to take some of those flowers off your hands. I don't think I'm allergic to wool.

I get queasy very easily too, especially when I'm nervous.

meh said...

One of my "cool and sassy" friends (yes, she is younger then us, but oh well) was wearing the cutest thing pinned on the lapel of her coat at Saturday night service...an adorable knitted flower thingy (or maybe it wasn't knitted, but it was material) that resembled those in your picture with a cute oversized blingy diamond heart jewel stuck right in the middle of it...and I thought of you!! That may be another way to use up your stash of extra flowers.

I love your new shelves...please post a pic of the finished project!! And what a fun site you found the plan on.

O Mom said...

Hope we get to see pictures of the finished bookshelf projrect!

Carpool Queen said...

I love that you made coffee and warmed scones and INVITED HIM IN.

There's such a lesson in there about being a great wife and friend.

You rock.

The Lord Family said...

I wish I could knit. I really do, because those are adorable. Sigh.

We need a field trip. Badly.

And I agree with you. I would rather spend time with Mr. Neal any time. Love him. Love talking to him.
Sigh...

Candace said...

Love, love, love the headband.
Oh, that I could ever be that crafty...
We all have our gifts, right? :)

Kendra said...

LOVE those shelves! Wish my husband was handy and not afraid of power tools.

LOVE the flowers! Wish I had a girl to knit for. Boys just don't need accessories, you know. I can only do so many hats and scarves.

His Girl said...

I love when women love their husbands.

what a beautiful picture you painted, friend.

Deidre said...

Yes, a field trip sounds great.

Can't wait to see the shelves.

really.truly said...

Your scone/coffee break sounds lovely. Having a handy husband is even lovelier.

I love the neck/head warmer :)

Anonymous said...

The headband is cute.. but could your daughter be any cuter.. I don't think so! Those shelves will be great! Come up to Virginia for your field trip :-)

Tiffani said...

My GG is knitter and she's felting me a purse. It's awesome.

I love how you are so crafty...you truly inspire.

Enjoy your day with your family!

Rachel said...

I agree...hate the stomach bug too. Thankfully, its rare that we see them around here. But just today my 4 year old said, "Mommy, remember that day my stomach came out of my mouth?" After laughing, I cautiously said, "Yes, why?" And she said, "I don't have that today." Thank the Lord.


Please, please, please teach me how to make those adorable flowers! I've attempted to make several and they look pitiful! I can not for the life of me figure out how to hold the yarn in my left hand, so that the tension is right. I've watched tutorials and experiemented with every way I can think of. So frustrating!

Happy Wednesday to you too!

Anonymous said...

I'm keeping my hand over my mouth as I type so I won't pass our stomach yuck germs. I'm kidding. I'm not doing that. I'm convinced we got it here because I was smug about the fact that we ever get stomach bugs.

I'm loving those bright colored flowers!

And I LOVE it when my friends are happy in their marriages. It makes my heart smile. As do you.

Sandy M. said...

Hope your family avoids the stomach virus! Love those shelves & what a cute way to "hide" everything away....

Tracey said...

We went on a field trip yesterday...to CHILI'S! It was delightful to get out of the cave where we've been hibernating and eat some unhealthy food. Just me and my four..devouring chips and salsa.

We ate them so fast that the waitress thought she had forgot to bring them out to us. Nope. Just little piglets at the trough.

I love, love the flowers and the headband. Please invite me if you decide to have a class...although I don't knit, but I do crochet.

Hope this Wednesday has been fun..enjoy the balmy weather!

Unknown said...

oh fun field trip day! :-) I hope it's good!

and I like your crocheted stuff - so cute! :-)

Tanya (In the Dailies) said...

Three times I almost skipped to the end just to comment!

1) LOVE the first picture. Those colors are gorgeous.

2) I'm so excited about that knock-off site!!! I'd not seen it before. THANKS for sharing. Too cool!

3) I'm the same way with stomach bugs. Ugh. I haven't even been able to tweet people back lest I somehow ... Okay, can't talk about this anymore. Just know I'm selfish and rude when it comes to illness.

4) Can't wait to hear about your field trip!

Gretchen said...

I might be rethinking my stance on polygamy, for I really like those shelves. Like drooling like them.

Blue Skies said...

We did a field trip in honor of slightly warmer weather on Wednesday too! We went to Wild Basin refuge and enjoyed a winter time hike and woods observation. Very relaxing and just what the docotor ordered for my overworked brain. I love your new wool flowers. It makes me itch too though. I love those shelves!

Amy said...

I adore those flowers!! Crochet?

Your coffee talk with the hubby sounds lovely. Mine doesn't drink coffee or sit still long enough for that kind of interaction.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

You're amazing, Kellie! I love your craftiness.

I laughed out loud at,
But I'm having fun, so what's a few hives? Oh. My. Gosh. So funny.

I love that you love your Mister so much. I feel exactly the same way about mine. So blessed. We are both so blessed.