Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Every One Needs a Little

Last week The Girl went rock climbing with her Girl Scout Troop.

Having never done any rock climbing myself, I didn't know what to expect, or how the equipment worked.

We learned about the figure eight knot, and how to get harnessed in the gear. We learned what it meant to be a belayer.

The Girl was very nervous.


Her first climb wasn't very high.

I asked if it was because her arms and legs got tired.

She said it wasn't that...she said when she looked down, she became afraid.


There was another mom who was belaying (that's the person who has control of the rope so the climber doesn't plummet to the ground). She is a very quiet kind of gal. She doesn't say much...

But, when she had The Girl climbing that wall she would speak in quiet tones meant for only The Girl to hear, "That's it, G, keep your weight in your feet... Yes...That's it....You are doing a great job....There is a foothold just to your left...Can you reach it?....Yes, you have it!....Keep going...Your doing great....Look up, there's a perfect place for you right hand...You got it....Good job."



Whispers meant only for The Girl...



Whispers... of quiet encouragement help to set her eyes on what is important. Words to help make her climb  successful. Counsel that gave motivation to pull herself up when her legs were shaking from fatigue and her hands were stinging with blisters.



It reminded me to be aware of those around me who may be climbing the walls of life, who hang, mid-wall, without a belayer, shaking legs and bloodied hands.

Lord, help me to remember that quiet whispers of encouragement can be a life-line to someone else...give me wisdom to use them gently and lavishly.

Encouragement. Every one needs a little.


Your love has given me great joy and encouragement
because you, have refreshed the hearts of the saints.

Philemon 1:7

15 comments:

Becca @ My Crazy Good Life said...

What a great way to link that rick climbing post up to something that's important to you...

Those gyms usually have camps during the summer where the kids start out slow and work their way up... the counselors are usually young, responsible, and awesome for boosting courage. My 9 year old is not passionate about rock climbing... and so confident.

O Mom said...

quiet whispers of encouragement can be a life-line to someone else........
Those are powerful words and I have felt them in my own life at times.
Can I steal this quote from you for a tiny post I'm writing on my blog? You will receive the credit :)

Gretchen said...

This quiet post ministers to my heart in such a profound way today, Kellie. I have tears in my eyes.

Good for you, G!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

First off WTG The Girl! You did awesome!

Second loved the 2nd point to the post.. that sometimes all we need is just a little whisper of encouragement to keep going and climbing to the top!

Cathy said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for your whispered words to me today!

Oh and... You go, Girl!

adrienne said...

Thank you Kellie for sharing that.

Tiffani said...

Oh, I've had so many "Mama" moments w/ C this past week, like this.

What a sweet Mom to be there for G..I love the fact that she spoke in whispers. I tend to be loud (not in an obnoxious way ;) but this was a such a great reminder that sometimes it is necessary to whisper!

Carpool Queen said...

I'm such a fixer and would have been telling her what she was doing wrong. Thanks for showing me how to turn that around.

Candace said...

I'm a big believer in encouragement. I think that it may be true that when you whisper those words to another person's heart as they engage in the struggle, that you actually enter into and are a part of what success they experience. And that's powerful.

Great post.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Oh wow, this was beautiful, Kellie. I'm so proud of you both! Encouragement IS a lifeline indeed.

---------------------------
Will had a rock climbing party for his 10th birthday...it was very cool! I chickened out of doing it though. Mainly because I didn't want the guy belaying everyone to have a perfect visual of my rear crammed into that harness.

Amy said...

Great comparison! Way to go, G!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a good word. Thanks, friend.

Tanya (In the Dailies) said...

What a wonderful illustration! As I read it, I thought not of those around me (apparently I'm having one of those egocentric days!), but about God's whispers to me. Am I listening for them? Am I listening to them? Or am I more concerned with the rock I must climb or the space between me and "solid ground." HE IS OUR SOLID GROUND. And if He has us climb those rocks, we're safer there than staying down where we have only an illusion of security. Whispers are good.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.