Monday, June 01, 2009

Home Again, Home Again

As I gave the detailed description of my long weekend to the kids I realized how much MEH and I crammed into 72 hours. We know how to be together. I should be tired, but I'm not. Which is so nice.  

Getting to The Mitten proved fairly easy with the exception a few issues.

Snafu #1: They had closed down the airport for over an hour due to lightening. I almost missed my flight in Chicago. I made it by the skin of my teeth (and on the prayers of my Tweeps). 

The troubles didn't end there...(both for my flight and my teeth) only I wouldn't know it until it was time to fly back...
The picture above is the yummy lunch we had on her back deck on Friday afternoon. We had stayed up on Thursday night talking until 1 a.m., and yet we look so spunky here!

Right before we retired to the back deck for that first lunch, I looked out the window and thought I saw an emu out in the back yard. Pictured below is the sweet Sandhill Crane family that lives the the back yard. Aren't they sweet?

After lunch we did a little shopping in a quaint town. We sampled chocolate-covered Michigan Cherries and had a latte. We also got a pedicure and visited the Costco. Later that night her man grilled up some delicious steaks, and MEH made some killer garlic mashed potatoes. She also made my most favorite of her recipes Coconut Pound Cake. She has graciously posted the recipe...go on over and say hello!

This is where Snafu #2 came to play. While chewing some lovely french bread I pulled out my crown (again). I felt weird walking around without a tooth but Marie assured me that it wasn't noticeable. So I pressed on.

On Friday night we watched a movie (can't remember the name) in the Biding My Time Basement Movie Theater. Let me tell you, its posh. If I had that set-up in my basement I wouldn't set foot in a movie theater again....and I LOVE to go to the movies. 

On Saturday she took me up the road a piece to Kensington Park for a nice long walk. We saw birds, and water, and greenery. It was beautiful!


Those geese and their babies were EVERYWHERE. They were so sweet. 

Later that day we went out for more shopping (I found an Anne Taylor shirt on sale for $9.00!!)
we also found a great Mexican food restaurant that was really delicious. 

Since we hadn't had nearly enough butter, sugar, and chocolate, we stopped by the DQ for Blizzards to eat at home while watching What Not To Wear. It was the perfect evening, even with Snafu #3: Through a series of events my flights back home had been cancelled. After about 10 minutes of freaking out and 20 minutes on the phone it was all figured out. My return flight ended up being bette, eliminating a 3.5 hour layover in Chicago.

On Sunday we went to church. It was awesome to worship where Marie and her Man are doing ministry. The worship team is awesome, and the sermon was great. It was a nice morning.

The picture below is the neighborhood pond. That isn't their house, but the pond was so pretty.

This last picture is one of my favorites. It on the Biding My Time front porch. I did some quiet time there on Saturday morning. It is really such a peaceful place.
Thanks MEH! I had such a great time visiting with you and your sweet family. Can't wait to come back!

8 comments:

Gretchen said...

I'll have to visit her blog, for I can't leave a good recipe untouched.

What a wonderful time! I feel rejuvenated on your behalf. Sorry about your tooth though. :(

Woman Interrupted said...

What a weekend!!! Love girl time.

Amber said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip!!! Time with really great girlfriends is all too rare, and you got a whole weekend!!! AWESOME!! And it looks beautiful there!

Anonymous said...

awww yay for a wonderful weekend! Love the pictures and the birds in the backyard!! My son would be ecstatic.. he is currently obsessed with birds :-)

Carpool Queen said...

Hooray for porches and rockers. Sweet times, it seems.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

It all sounds wonderful (except the crown and the ticket mishap).

Coconut pound cake. Oh my. I'm heading to check that out now.

:)

Welcome home.

Megan O. said...

I'm so glad you guys had such a great time. It's so special that you've kept so close that you can just pick up like that when you see each other.

Musings of a Housewife said...

How fun, snaffoos and all. :-) I hope your root canal went smoothly.