Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Archives: No Birds Today

This morning I am pulling from the archives. Not only has the week proven to be exorbitantly busy, but to add insult to injury, I must have a root canal done early this morning. 

This post was originally posted almost four years ago. I had just moved here from Texas and had just started this blog.

The good news is that I have made great strides in my navigation skills, and with age has come wisdom: I know longer shop at Wal-mart (unless ABSOLUTELY necessary!)

Still use the bird phrase...some habits die hard.

La Vida Dulce: No Birds Today - July 13, 2005



I should have known that today would be a bit of a bummer when I got up, got ready, got the kids dressed and presentable, and started loading up to go to the dentist, when I realized that my appointment was not today, but tomorrow.

So we had to reschedule what I had planned to do tomorrow and get it done today...

I had been putting off "tomorrow" just by the simple fact that it was to be a "Walmart" day. As most people I know (especially those with chirldren under 12), I have a love/hate relationship that goes with the dreaded Walmart visit. Quite frankly, I'd rather go to the dentist. But sometimes you can't beat the fact that even the Ramen is cheaper...

A friend here told me that there was a Super-Walmart that was not that far, and yet, it was in a different town..."Only about 20 minutes away"--a local phrase that I find myself muttering under my breath as I try to read my Mapsco and navigate down a foreign country road...How I long for the day when I can be driving back roads and short-cuts and actually get to where I am going.....but I digress.

This morning, after driving all over 3 different counties (and I am not kidding) the kids and I never found the Super-Walmart. We did however find a stretch of highway that would take us back to our county and some familiarity: Super-Target.

After taking two hours to get to Target (that is only about 20 minutes from our house), I get my list and begin shopping with two children who are complaining because they "never" get to look at the toys in Target...never, meaning not since last Monday.

Then I got home and the cellular phone issue that our "cellular phone guy" said would be taken care of last month, is not, and we received not one, but two, bills in the mail.

I had a friend in Fort Worth who, when her life was going completely as planned, or if something really awesome happened, she would say "It's like I am walking around with a bird on my finger!" (Think Mary Poppins).

There are no birds today.

Actually, I did buy ice cream this morning...things are starting to look better...

10 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

So funny, Kellie.

Even the ramen is cheaper! HA!

Praying for you today. Hope your visit is short and you can have another milkshake for lunch!

Carpool Queen said...

Thinking of you today at the dentist. And I will scour for cheap Ramen. 15 cents? No thank you. I only buy it when it's below 10.

Tiffani said...

I shuddered at the dentist "talk"....will pray that all goes well for you!

You have truly been blogging AWHILE girl! To quote Mrs. Mandrell (with a few artistic liberties)--you were blogging when blogging wasn't cool! :)

I am soo digging from my archives! I hadn't really thought much about it..what a great way to revisit something and share w/ our new friends...

I loved looking back on your life with you today! :)

Anonymous said...

Hope your appt goes well and without too much pain.

Hillcrest Cottage said...

There is a really funny joke in the comment your friend's may Poppins comment, however, I am restraining myself.
I,too, never go to Wal-Mart, and it irritates me that everything is cheaper there...but I tell myself there is a price to pay for quality of life.

Amber said...

Ick. Dentist.

Yum. Ice cream.

I'm sitting here in my living room with 3 rascals who are screaming at eachother over a pile of play money. No birds here either.

Gretchen said...

I lurve reading your posts. So conversational and fun. Hope that bird on your finger returns soon. And hope your painkillers and antibiotics do well for you.

jen said...

Oh, I had to go to W-M yesterday. Like rubbing salt in the wound I got there and remembered that they are re-organizing the store (and last time I was there I had promised myself that I would not go there again until 2010 just to avoid the chaos). Oh, it was bad. I covered parts of the store four times in an effort to find all of the things on my list - a list of about six items! There was no bird yesterday for me!

But today was different; I had to go to Target for the thing I couldn't find at Wal-Mart. I was in and out in record time...yes, definitely a bird today! :)

Lori said...

Hope you have a easy recovery from your root canal! Those 2 words together give me the chills....

The Gochis Family said...

Hi Kellie! I'm thinking about you and the whole root canal thing! Yuck! Do you remember that we share the whole bad teeth thing??? I think our dentist here in Waco is planning an early retirement since I moved to town! :) I love ya and miss ya!

Cheryl