Wednesday, September 17, 2008

From There to Here

Whew!

I was a whirling dervish of activity today. Not only did I get my entire family room unpacked and in order, I was also able to get the kids school area finished and my bathroom unpacked and organized.

Don't think less of me, but going with out Q-tips for a week was a hardship. I like clean ears.

But now all my lotions and potions are in the right place in my bathroom cupboard.

Remember a few months ago when we had a toilet paper crises?  Well it's feast or famine around here. Apparently I bought a huge Costco pack before we left AZ. Then The Mister picked up another huge pack that was in the hall bathroom (unbeknown to me). When we
 arrived here in NC we ran to the Costco and picked up another huge pack.  So we shouldn't run out for a good while.

Just in case you were worried.

Let's change the subject.  OK, what else did I do today? I made a pot of beans for lunch. I
 unpacked. I made sure the kids did some work and then I kicked them outside. I unpacked.

It is amazing to be able to send them outside to play every single day. They were building a tee pee out of some sticks they found. And making a camp of sorts. They would come in every once in awhile to tell me all  about the wildlife in our yard. Yesterday it was a bird with the biggest worm in it's mouth (I saw it too). Today a blue jay was chasing a cicada, trying to catch his lunch. The crazy squirrels were jumping from tree to tree. The quick humming birds in
our neighbors garden were zippily doing what they do. A bright red cardinal was found hanging out on the deck. Oh, and those moles (I had forgotten about them!) they are busy digging all over my yard! 

Yesterday morning a fawn walked across our front yard. She was the cutest thing!  All spotty across her back. 

Country livin'. It's awesome!

Tomorrow and Friday I will post pictures from our trip across the country but here are a few just to get you to come back to see the rest!
This is the truck leaving our home in AZ. If you have never had the opportunity to watch every possession you own be driven off by complete strangers, you should try it! It helps one to not be too attached to things!

Here's our beautiful NC house!

 Just kidding! This was a replica of a pioneer cabin at Dollywood.  But honestly, when the view from this cabins porch is the Smoky Mountain Tops, who cares what the house looks like!

This is that same truck (and driver) pulling up the road with all our stuff on Friday morning. Well, except a bookcase that someone else must own now. This rig was HUGE and our stuff was one of three households our driver packed in there.  Oh well, you win some, and you lose some. 

Anyway, 7 days and 2300 miles later, here we are...

This is me on Saturday, being OCD (or CDO, alphabetized, like it should be) about the grass. We had had someone mow it two weeks earlier but it looked like a jungle when we arrived. I couldn't rest until that lawn was all neat and tidy, so instead of unpacking that first morning, I was out mowing with our neighbors lawn mower.

The Mister laughed at me, took pictures, and when I was done and dripping wet with humidity, he asked, "Do you feel better now?"

"Yes." I said. "Yes, I do."

La Vida Dulce!

10 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Sounds like you're making great progress! That's a great feeling, isn't it?

I'm OCD too, and would have probably done the same thing as you in regard to the lawn! LOL!

Heather said...

North Carolina is beautiful and the Smokey Mountains are awesome! We have friends down that way, lots of fun stuff to do as well if yo ulike state parks and whatnot (which we do.):)

meh said...

Honey, I hate to burst your happy little desert diva bubble, but you were actually dripping with sweat when you mowed your lawn with your neighbors mower.

Tiffani said...

What an accomplishment! Yay for you, Kellie!! I know you are on a roll (a toilet paper roll that is--ha, I couldn't resist)!

That is one of the reasons I homeschool is to have the freedom to let them explore and discover on their own...just today mine were in a wagon train, in the front yard, complete with pots/pans, food and a rifle! And dressed to fit, of course!

I would've been praying over that truck!!! Wow, the size of that thing! Keep up the good work, girl!!

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

I like clean ears, too.

That Allied truck brought back many a memory! :) Oh, the military life.

Jackie said...

Cracking up over the overabundance of toilet paper. I'd rather have feast than famine when it comes to that.

I have to tell you, seeing your beautiful green grass is making me want to pack up and move too. I love certain aspects of the desert, but my heart will always belong someplace a little greener.

So happy you're getting settled in!

Kathy said...

We used United/Hilldrup for our last move and it was the most professional, polished transition yet. Your home and property are lovely!
Kathy @ www.restorationplace.typepad.com

Lindsay said...

oo a week with out q-tips.. that sounds like a nightmare (I think Im addicted)!

Totally cracking up at the CDO statement!!

Michelle@Life with Three said...

I'm so impressed with your progress! Wow! I don't think I could ever have done all of that already. Glad your kids are enjoying the cooler temps and the new yard. :)

Megan O. said...

Can't wait to see more photos of your new (old) house! It looks beautiful--I love the trees!!