Friday, September 26, 2008

The Red Door


This is my front door. 

And there is a story. 

When I bought this house three and a half years ago I was sad. 

I was leaving North Texas, a place I loved. My friends were there and it wasn't all that far from AZ where my parents live. It was the place I had grown spiritually and emotionally. A lot of good things had happened there for me.

However, the last two years in that town had been difficult ones for my husband. Probably the most difficult years he has ever had in his life.  He had a wrestle with the Lord that 
challenged him personally, professionally, emotionally, financially, spiritually and physically. 

It was a hard time. 

That two year chapter in our lives ended with our first move to North Carolina.  

One of my dearest friends, Jen with one N, came to help me find a house here in the piney woods.

We came on a weekend and had exactly 48 hours to find and buy the house of our North Carolina dreams. 

The realtor had about a dozen homes for us to look at and I was convinced that the Lord already had a home for us. I just knew He had a place in mind for The Sweet Mister to heal, for our family to recuperate. I had it set in my heart and mind that Jen and I weren't going home until I had bought that house, where ever it may be.

I had made a list of things that I knew the house needed: four bedrooms, a garage, lots of light, and preferably in the country with a bit earth to call our our "own."

But there were a few things that weren't necessary: a deck, two stories, separate dining room and kitchen. You know, things that would be nice, but not really necessary.

There was also something that I wanted that I hadn't dared to write down, but it was a desire in my heart.

A red door.

It wasn't until we had moved in and settled in that I realized that God had not only chosen a house that had nearly everything on my list, but He has also graciously given me the desire of my heart. Foolish as it was. 

Y'all, as I was hanging up our fall wreath on the door this week, I was filled with gratitude for a living and gracious God, who is kind and compassionate. Who heals the brokenhearted and cares for the smallest of details in our lives. 

I do not type lightly when I say that I do not deserve the red doors of life. I certainly haven't earned them. Which makes my heart flutter all the more with praise. God lavishly loves us by knowing the desires of our heart. He knows and understands the longings we don't want to admit we have.

Psalm 63:7

 I will tell of the kindnesses of the LORD, 
       the deeds for which he is to be praised,       
according to all the LORD has done for us— 
       yes, the many good things he has done 
       for the house of Israel, 
       according to his compassion and many kindnesses

La Vida Dulce!

PS: As I type, meh of Biding My Time, is about to get on a plane to visit for the weekend!  The blog may be quiet until Tuesday!

19 comments:

Rae said...

So beautiful; your door, your story and you!

Tanya said...

Thank you for this! I especially like this insight: "He knows and understands the longings we don't want to admit we have." God is so good!!! I'll never see a red door without remembering this post and the truth it proclaims.

Lindsay said...

You door looks amazing! A red door in the pine woods in the fall.. what more could one want. Have fun this weekend :-)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Oh, have so much fun with your friend...what a blessing to spend time together!

The red door story is beautiful. I love it when God shows us in ways unique to each of us that He sees us and He cares. Love it!

Mrs. Moofish said...

I never knew that story--it brought tears to my eyes! And, it reminded me of our own story in buying this home, and how I've been forgetting to be thankful. I am truly thankful for the 18 months I got to have you here! (But, I will admit to feeling a little jealous of meh this weekend!) Have fun and I miss you!
Dana

Megan O. said...

What a great story of the Lord's familiarity and love for us. I've been realizing lately that a big part of growing in my faith is stopping to acknowledge those things He's done, rather than missing them completely or writing them off as coincidence. This is a great example of noticing how He fulfills those little things and then praising Him for it. Thanks!

Carrie and Jim said...

I am so glad to read that God gave you such a wonderful house with that beautiful red door. I am so encouraged by your words of praise and thankfulness. God has truly been at work in your life. Have a great visit with your friend.

Jackie said...

You know what? Having a red front door has ALWAYS been a secret desire of mine. And now after reading this awesome story, I have no doubt that someday I'll have mine, too.

Your house looks like it is just gorgeous and perfect...I can only imagine how lovely the fall is there.

Lisa said...

Hi Miss Kellie, so happy about your red door, am quite a red door lover myself. So happy you all made it safe and sound :) I MAY who knows, be coming to your area for Thanksgiving, I'll let you know if I am and maybe I can swing by :)

Kathy said...

Dh and I have been talking a lot lately about the seasons of our lives and the many "red doors" He lavishes upon us. Isn't it amazing to be His beloved? :-)
Kathy @ www.restorationplace.typepad.com

Beth Cotell said...

What a beautiful post! And I have always loved red doors - and yours is beautiful!

Michele said...

Kellie, you hit the nail on the head. God is in all of the details of our lives! I love Him so!!! What a sweet, sweet story! Hope you are lovin' being back in the South again!

Missus Wookie said...

Gorgeous door and we have a similar wreath up at the moment :) Like you I do love a red door... at the moment ours is white :sigh: perhaps next time.

stephanie j. said...

All Christians have red doors in their lives! Thank you for the reminder that we are NOT owed any red door, in fact, we deserve the ugliest metal screen door with torn mesh. Painted mustard yellow. On a lean to. Do we even deserve that good? NO!

Ephesians 2:4-7: But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

AMEN!

lynnmosher said...

Beautiful door! I l-o-v-e red doors! I wrote a post in my blog about God giving me a small desire of my heart http://lynnmosher.blogspot.com so Tanya sent me here to read yours and I'm so glad she did. Isn't God awesome? I'll be back to visit...Lynn

Shelley @ My Treasure Hunt said...

LOVE this, love that it happened to you, and love that God really does that for us! Well written!

jen said...

Ha! I am just about to write a post (to be published next week) about the "red doors" in my life! Isn't God just amazing!

Becky said...

I love your door and my Meester just put in three new ones for me and i keep telling him I am going to paint the one in the Kitchen RED

Anonymous said...

I'm always so moved by these "red door" types of posts from you. Your ability to be so honest and heartfelt for all the world to see inspires me. Maybe I'll get there one day...

And yes, you SO deserve the red door.

Enjoy it. It looks beautiful with that pretty Autumn wreath. I bet you are having some gorgeous crisp weather!