Thursday, September 04, 2008

Guitar Playing Packing Man


When Willie came in on Tuesday he asked if we had anything listed on our High Value Inventory. I told him that the only thing that I had was my china and crystal stemware and my classical guitar. He asked to see where these items were while he off handed said, " I play a little classical guitar."

I walked him into the bedroom where I keep my guitar in it's case. The poor thing was badly out of tune since I haven't really picked it up in several months. 

I pulled the guitar out and handed it to him. He admired it by looking inside it, commented about it's make and then cradled it up into his right hand to play a chord with his left.

And suddenly it was very obvious that this man was an artist.

I play a little classical guitar: meaning I know a few chords and can get by.

Willie plays a little classical guitar: meaning he plays all different types of guitar. Very well, I might add. 

He only played a few chords on Tuesday before he put it down. So I blurted out "I'll buy you a sandwich this afternoon if you play a little more." Because I am not above bribery.

The truth is we always feed our packers and make sure they have plenty of water and Gatorade to drink. Of course, Willie didn't now this. ;)

So I spent the whole day wanting to ask him if he really would play something for me, but he left and there really wasn't a good part of he day to ask.

But yesterday, I subtly made it known that I did not want that guitar packed until he played, and finally I was rewarded; everything was packed and he played my guitar before packing her up. 

He played for less than ten minutes. From show tunes to a lovely Latin Samba. Even a little bit of the blues. 

But he started with the video below. I don't know how he knew that this was one of my favorite songs growing up, but it was the perfect piece to play.

The back ground noise is the other packers taping up boxes. And the quality of the speakers on my camera make this sound so much less than what it was.

La Vida Dulce!

11 comments:

flyinjuju said...

Love it!

Tiffani said...

Holy cow, Willie....I wouldn't have been above bribery either, since I'm a lover of ALL things musical...but my goodness, I don't know how you did't just say: concert, please...the other packers were obviously working hard anyway (by the "sound" of it :) What a special treat in the midst of your move!!

Mrs. Moofish said...

That was beautiful! How cool was that?!

Michelle@Life with Three said...

That was so pretty. I wish there was a CD to buy! ;) What a great story and a fun memory.

jen said...

Oh, I have to tell you that the background noise just about sent me over the edge - not because it is so bad, but because I know that I could be hearing that in my very own home in less than a year...and I don't WANT to move...but maybe I do, because I want what God wants for my family and there's always adventure in moving and it would give me a chance to go through stuff...but...I'm sure you get the idea!

meh said...

That is the best "moving" story I have ever heard I do believe!! Very cool! And I would venture a guess that you made his day every bit as much as he made yours, which is so like you!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, he is really good!! How neat that he played for you and you got a video. He should get payed extra for entertaining...

By the way, did you get my email? I would love to get together before you go...

Jackie said...

Wow, that boy can play! He was throwing in some awesome jazzy chords...I loved it! So glad you posted it. Ok, I'm going to listen to it again now. :)

Anonymous said...

It appears you totally lucked out in the packer department. What a great story. My packers were always more of the strong and silent type. Strong. Silent. Maybe even a little scary.

Lucky you. Willie rocked btw. ;)

Safe travels my friend!

Carrie and Jim said...

What a neat surprise. Thanks for sharing that video. I really enjoyed his music.

Tanya said...

Very cool. My husband was raised in an Air Force family. They've always talked about how great the military movers were, but they never said anything about THIS!! :) Talk about leaving on a great note ...