Saturday, September 06, 2008

Headed East

By the time this posts, we should be headed toward New Mexico.

I had so much in my head as to what I would write about this last day as a resident of this warm, desert town. I held in the floodgates that I won't be opened until I have the luxury of time on my own. Most likely that time will come on that first five minutes on the road, when the morning is still dark and the stars can be my cover.

I don't often like to cry in front of others when the grief is my own.

And yet, I know this isn't a goodbye forever. This truly is a "see you soon", since plans for a summer trip are already in the works.

I also look forward with great anticipation to our North Carolina home. It's smells, it's seasons, it's beautiful, soothing accent. I look forward to the greenery, and of course, above all things, seeing the friends we haven't seen face to face in 18 months.

We have much to look forward to. Much to be happy about!

I may be taking a blogging break while we are on the road. But then again, maybe not. We'll see...

I did want to tell you this funny story...

Upon packing our traveling bags I gave the kids list of what to pack, with strict instructions to pack one pair of tennis shoes and one pair of flip-flops. They weren't to pack anything extra, just what was on the list.

Last night as I was rechecking bags (we were at my mom's house for the night) and getting things ready to load in the car, I noticed that The Girl not only managed to pack flip-flops and tennis shoes, but stuffed in the bottom of the bag, were also a pair of brown sandals, sparkly pink slip on sandals and a sparkly handbag. She just couldn't be limited to two pairs of shoes, and she "always uses the sparkly handbag when she uses the sparkly shoes".

You know, that girl is a lot like her mother. I couldn't stick to my own list either...

All right, time to sign off on my last blog post west of the Mississippi...

To my Arizonian peeps: I miss you already!

"Say good things about me, Cuz I've gone to Carolina..."-James Taylor


La Vida Dulce

9 comments:

Musings of a Housewife said...

Aww, how sad. And how exciting all at the same time. I would LOVE to be moving to NC. I hope you love it.

Michelle@Life with Three said...

Have a safe trip, Kellie! Looking forward to hearing from you when you reach you reach the coast! :)

Lindsay said...

oo I always hated moving day.. even if I was excited about where I was going.. I hated the transition time period. Keeping you in my prayers.

Jackie said...

I am a little teary just reading this...it can be so hard to uproot and replant somewhere else. But it's so much better when you know that you are following the leading of God. Safe travels!

Tiffani said...

wow, how exciting and heavy all at the same time, Kellie...please be safe and I can't wait to hear how you're doing!! Know that you'll be in my prayers!

Oh, love the story about your daughter, I think she's representative of ALL girls, especially mine...please, oh please tell me that there was stuff IN the handbag, too?! I'm always AMAZED at what all is inside the purses in JuJu's closet!!

Anonymous said...

Too cute! Have a fun time and looking forward to what you have to share when you settle in.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sad we weren't able to get together before your move. The summer went far too quickly. We are (were!)practically neighbors. Good luck on the next chapter in your life. I'll keep checking in on you. Once an Arizonian, always an Arizonian, right? ;)

stephanie j. said...

Ingrid kept asking today if you had left yet. Yep, now you're gone. Drive safely, friends! God bless you all. I look forward to your next blog posting.

PS Ingrid saw a pair of sparkly sparkly pink shoes in a kids' catalog today. The conservative, preppy side of me told her quite pompously, "we" don't buy shoes like that at our house, Ingrid. Isn't that awful? Maybe I'll find a pair of the sparkliest I can find. It would bring much joy to her heart!

Rae said...

Good luck with your travels and settling in! I love how your daughter just had to pack the sparkly purse. Makes perfect sense to me!!!!