Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Countdown to a 1000: Peace

Originally written (and sent to the draft box) on 8/8/07. Not sure why I didn't post it, except that it didn't feel right at the time. 


Today, however, it feels like a bit of my own medicine. 


I think I'll take it.

~~~~~~~


I've been thinking a lot this week about simplicity.

When it come right down to it I'm a simple girl.

But I can complicate my life with busy-ness.

As a matter of fact, I'm very good at it.

I realized this many years ago as a young mom.

Back in the day I was a in a Mom's Group at church. We were going through a very practical bible study called MotherWise that helped prioirtize and make goals in the raising of our familes.

While I didn't agree with all everything that study had to offer, I still value what I learned, because I go back to one fundamental truth while homemaking and parenting today by asking myself two questions.

1. What is your main goal in the keeping of your home and the raising of your family?

Ultimately, my main goal was peace. I wanted my home to be a peaceful and restful place. I wanted The Mister to come home from work and and have a soft place to land. I wanted my kids to always feel like home was where to run in times of trouble, and a place to stay in times of rest. I wanted my friends and extended family to feel comfortable in my home; a take-your-shoes-off-and-stay-awhile comfortable.

This led me to ask myself question number two when trying to reach my goal of peace in the home.

2. Does this activity (or thing) build up my family or does it tear it down?


Anytime a ministry opportunity, or play group, or any other thing that might take me out of the home, I would approach it through this question.

This was sometimes hard for this do-it-all gal.

It still is today.

Especially since now, I don't have toddlers who just follow along like a string full of ducks, and who are at the mercy of "my way".  My children now have valid opinions, desires and likes of their own.

These days I have the full time job of homeschooling, which builds up my family but takes an incredible amount of my personal time. Homeschooling is often looked upon as a job that isn't all that hard, or is all about having fun and doing what you want, but couldn't be farther than the truth.

I can make that statement with confidence because, ashamedly, I have looked down my nose at homeschooling mom's, before I knew I'd be one....

It reminds me of those early years of motherhood when the jabs between working mothers and stay-at-home mom's hurt the most.

I find myself scrambling. Running from place to place just within my home. I'm texting, tweeting, blogging, teaching, cooking, gardening, crafting, friending, studying, organizing, rushing, washing, selling, mentoring, driving, mending, and sometimes it feels as if I am failing.

As if I am not doing even one thing well.

I'm not feeling the peace.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

The truth of it all...there is no one to blame but myself.

It time to go back to simplicity.

9 comments:

Kristin said...

Such a hard thing to accomplish - simplicity. There are so many things we're told to do as women - so much that doesn't even matter! hooray that you have the wisdom to know when to take a step back! :)

Carpool Queen said...

Praying for YOUR peace today as you sort things through.

Love ya'.

Gretchen said...

Isn't it just like you to encourage me to take stock of my own life, just as you're doing the same? Iron sharpens iron, babe.

love you.

Melissa said...

I started a quest for peace & simplicity 2 years ago, and it's been an amazing journey. I must admit that sometimes I still get sidetracked. But, my goals have been much the same as yours - I've wanted my home to be a sanctuary for my family.

Blessings to you as you seek that balance.

Tracey said...

My goodness, we are going through the same stuff. I just got off the phone with my sweet husband...made one request of him...that we move to a house on 25 acres so I could get some peace. (yes, I know that physical location has nothing to do with it...but, it seems easier than the real answer.)

Teetering down the balance path with you. Not there yet, but it's too important to run the other way.

Woman Interrupted said...

Here Here for simplicity.

Gretchen said...

Amen and amen!
Thanks for a great reminder. Some days it's easier to accomplish simplicity than others.
Hugs!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for being open, real, and truthful! I will be praying for you today...for peace...and for the wisdom to know what to say yes and no to.
Blessings, Teresa

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Your words are wise, Kellie.

Very wise, and very challenging.