Monday, June 30, 2008

Meeting Constance Rhodes


Well, I've built this baby up for almost a week now. 


It’s time to talk.


If you read nothing else in this post, this is what I want you to know…There is a book I found almost five years ago entitled Life Inside the Thin Cage: A Personal Look into the Hidden World of the Chronic Dieter by Constance Rhodes. It’s real. It’s true. It’s researched. It’s worth a read. 


Constance is not only an author, but she is the founder of FindingBalance.com, the webs only video based web site for information, help, and resources on Eating and Body Image Issues.


If the title of her book (or website) doesn’t speak to you, I would bet big money that it speaks to someone you know.


I am going to go out on a limb and guess that the title does speak to you. 


The posts for today and tomorrow are for you. 


Get comfortable, I have some story to tell.


A month ago I made a knee-jerk decision and subsequent wager, thinking little of the consequences. To make matters worse, I blogged about it bringing you into the game without asking. 


I decided to go a month without weighing myself. Tomorrow I’ll write specifically on the Weigh Out, since I still have one more day left...I don’t want to weigh count my chickens before they hatch!


However, after a week without weighing I was laying in bed one night, unable to sleep. I began to doubt my decision. Why take something so very personal; something that still sometimes stings with shame; and ‘expose’ it to the world-wide-web? What good could come from doing something so silly?


I finally fell asleep only to awake in the middle of the night, bright eyed and alert. 


As laying in bed late at night seems to go, I began to think about what I might do to make this “weigh-out” redeemable; worthwhile. I prayed for wisdom (cuz praying while supine is a sure fix for catchin’ some zzz’s!), but before sleep came a momentary thought sprinted through my mind: Ask Constance to send you a book. 


So I did what any other woman might do at three in the morning: 


I ignored it.


For several days, at random times, I would suddenly think about asking for a copy of Life Inside the Thin Cage to give away as a prize to one of my readers.


In the interest in making sure I wasn’t completely off my rocker, I pulled my copy from the shelf and began to skim through it.  I was reminded of why I liked it so much. This book was one of many things God used in my life to help open the door of my own cage. It gave me glimpses of Truth which I still hold on to today.


This 'book-begging' notion persisted for a week until I finally set myself over the computer and asked for a book.


Through a series of emails, she not only agreed to give me a book, but said she was going to be in Arizona and invited me to coffee. 


As it turned out, I arrived at lunchtime and we chatted over burritos in the warm Scottsdale sun. She asked me to share my story with her, and I briefly did so. I was far more eager to know a little more about FindingBalance, but especially the newly launched website The True Campaign


She explained to me that True is a combined project between FindingBalance and Remuda Ranch and is currently being featured (via video promotional) at Women of Faith conferences around the country. 


Constance, and Travis Stewart, her co-director in the True Campaign have a passion:


“We realized that if women could embrace their true God given identity, it would change their perspective on beauty, and thus alter the kind of lives they lead, and the kind of impact they make in the world.” 

This is a campaign geared to women, like me and like you, who are chronically, consistently, critically dis-content with our bodies,

overweight, underweight, or in between. They might be pretty or plain; young or old. Many look completely ‘normal’ on the outside – the right hair, shoes, clothes, makeup...”

     I’m talking regular gals we experience everyday life with; the gals we see at work, the church, the school. Oh and also, that amazing woman you see when you look in the mirror.

    Will you allow me to be bold for minute? 

     If you are anything like me you have spent way too much time and energy trying to make your outside “just-so”, but have been left wanting; never satisfied. We want to change, but we’re not sure how.

    That is where the True Campaign comes in. It’s also the part where I am going to issue a challenge, and a reward!

    Go to the True Campaign and look at the About section. This will give you more detail and some general knowledge of this campaign. Then go to the Give section to learn about the dream Constance and Travis are striving to achieve. 

    Then I would like to ask if you would consider signing up to be a part of the True Campaign with me. 

    If you do sign up for the True Campaign I would like for you to come back here and let me know through the comments. Your comment enters you into my giveaway for this week: a signed copy of Life Inside the Thin Cage.  You don’t have to be a blogger, but you do need to live in the US or Canada, and you need a valid email address to enter. I will choose a winner on Friday July 4th, Independence Day, baby!

    Here is the announcement: If you go here, you will find eight True-isms, located under "True Cards". 

   Starting tomorrow (July 1st) I will be posting my thoughts on the topic of 'Numbers' and it’s subsequent scripture. I’ll be thinking about one topic/scripture a week and writing my thoughts about it on Sundays. If you’d like to play along, print out the template and keep the cards on hand as a reminder of which Truth we are keeping.

     Lastly, if you are a blogger, and you would be willing to link this post sometime this week. That would be awesome too. 

    All right. I’ve thrown a lot of things at you. I hope you are still here.  I will close with a quote from the True Campaign:

"Let’s face it: too many of us dislike our bodies and struggle with eating issues. It’s time to start talking. It’s time to change and take action. For the sake of our future, its time to be True.

Will you be a part of it?"

9 comments:

Lara said...

I joined and I sent the links for the homepage and the link for the cards to everyone I know with girls! Wow what great teaching tools!

Michele said...

Kellie, when you clicked on my blog from the Beth Moore blog it had to be of the Lord. This is something that I struggle with BIG TIME!!!!! I will not go into my whole history right now. I was at a point in my life about 3 years ago when my size 2's were too big and I couldn't go to a 0 because my hips were too wide from having babies. I'm 5'8" so that can give you an idea. I'm doing the "No Other Gods" study online with Beth Moore and God has shown me that body image is one of the gods I serve. It is really, really hard to let go of. I will say one of the best things to happen to me since that time was I started training for a marathon. You have to eat if you are going to run long distances, so I started eating. Since then I have put on roughly 8-10 lbs. I'm telling you girl, it is something that is hard for me to deal with. I struggle with it almost everyday. I am much more toned now, but, to be honest I prefer the "skin and bones" look. I read your blog this morning and even clicked on the True Campaign site. It brought me to tears. Me and both of my sisters struggle with body image. This afternoon I felt really led to sign up for the True campaign, so I did. I'm warning you - this will not be easy for me, but I really and truly believe this is of the Lord. Thanks for being so open and honest!!!

On a much lighter note, your comment about the bananas and cheese salad had me laughing out loud. My hubby even said, "What's so funny?"

Sorry, I didn't mean to write you a book!

Beth Cotell said...

My friends and I should probalby read this book. We are obsessed with weight...not to the point of an eating disorder but I'm sure we are sending our daughters the wrong message.

I will link her and to the True Campaign later on in the week.

Jackie said...

This is fantastic and so timely. I really, really want to send my daughter the right message regarding my weight and weight in general, and my constant hopping on the scale probably isn't doing that. I haven't had a chance to look into this site, but I am definitely going to. Thank you so much.

Chel said...

Geez, are you just tapping into my psyche this week? And if so, get out while you can, chickie. :)

I'm going to go read about this and do some thinking about how it can help me finally get my body issues in check. I know that I've gotta get this done soon because I've got a 4-year-old daughter who needs to see a mom with a good self-esteem.

Shelley @ My Treasure Hunt said...

Hi Kellie
I finally got a chance to go over to the site and take a look at the true campaign. I signed up-- I know I can certainly benefit from reviewing these truths as I just posted about wanting to lose weight! ha! I don't have girls myself but I am surrounded by girls in the youth group at our church and I have spoken to some of them about this specific topic. The messages our culture sends us about beauty is so different from what God says about true beauty. If only we would live like we believe God's word! I will try to help get the word out and I am anxious to see where this goes from here!
Thanks for spreading the word and being honest. That's why I like your blog!
Shelley

Mrs. Moofish said...

Kellie, you are my sister by law, but also of the heart! Thank you for being so brave to share this struggle! I am on my way over to sign up for the True Campaign! I truly don't want to be defined by what I look like. Dana

Rae said...

Hi Kellie,

I just recently found your blog and want to thank you for your inspiring posts! I took a minute (more like 30!) and followed the links you suggested. Outstanding! I was very happy to join the "True" campaign. What a fabulous vision! Can't wait to learn more!!!

Beth said...

Kellie--
Thank you for sharing from the heart on this--and saying "out loud" what so many of us struggle with internally. I'm looking forward to visiting the site you mentioned and reading your upcoming blogs.