Thursday, November 11, 2010

Giving Thanks: For Something Totally Superfluous




I am not one who always follows the "gotta-have-it" crowds. I am many things, but I'm not a materialistic girl. I hope you'll indulge me in this completely materialistic post.

Today I'm giving thanks for something I do not need, did not deserve, and didn't think I would ever have: an iPad.

I knew this little machine would be fun, but its turned out to be a hard-working luxury item.

I have used it to teach my history class at co-op on Wednesday afternoon, showing pictures I swiped from the world wide web of ancient Egyptian art and how the Mayan built their huts out of lime and grasses.

I have used it to answer email, and as a GPS, and to keep me occupied in the doctors/dentist offices.

It's been a cookbook, a novel, a crochet pattern keeper.

This little computer has been a movie theater, a calendar, a bank (in the pic above I was moving some birthday cash I had been saving into my checking account. The CarpoolQueen snapped the photo.)

So today I am thankful for this crazy little gadget.

What item do you have, that you could live without, but are thankful you don't have to?


10 comments:

Tanya (In the Dailies) said...

Definitely my Kindle. And my laptop. Which, if combined, could be your iPad. ;)

Tracey said...

My laptop and my camera. Digital scrapbooking keeps my creative needs met!

(I don't know about you, but if I don't do something creative every couple of days, I get somewhat moody ;) )

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

My CHI (flat iron) and my laptop. And my iPod. And more....

(And hey, look!, I actually commented on a post the EXACT day you posted it.)(Progress!!!)

Rae said...

Love the pic!! I think it's great you had an iPad and it has become a wonderful blessing to you!!! I am giving thanks for the iPhone I am going to get with the hubby tomorrow....I've never wanted one and have said no to buying one for 3 years. Now that I have said yes, let's do it I can't wait!!!!!

Anonymous said...

hehe love this post! Sometimes its really nice to have these materialistic things.. when you keep them in perspective of whats really important. I love my Nook!!

Anonymous said...

My gadget is my BLENDER! I love making smoothies for the kids and I. It has become another type of drink that they love. I think my kids loves my drinks more than my cooking!! Wait, is that a good thing? LOL

ZHodges

Andrea said...

My laptop and camera:-)

Gretchen said...

itunes. I love having a playlist to fit my every mood. I've just recently found the joy of Pandora online radio, for a nice change too.

Carpool Queen said...

I would say my iPhone3, but today I got an iPhone 4.

SQUEAL!!!!

Becca @ My Crazy Good Life said...

My blackberry. I don't need it, but I LOVE it :)