Wednesday, June 09, 2010

La Vida Lunch: Rest

Its lunch time.

I'm not eating anything fancy today, just a turkey sandwich with lettuce and provolone, dry; with 5 of the biggest strawberries I have ever seen (on the side of course.)

The lunch of champions...

...Or lazy lunch-makers like me.

Its been a great week.

I've had just enough to do to help me feel accomplished at the end of each day, but not so much that I feel as if I've carried a burden.

I've been back to the gym several times (which makes me happy... its a sickness, I know.) I've made granola for my ravenous swimming-eaters, tackled the ever growing laundry issue, and todays goal is to clean my bedroom and bathroom.

This is all monotonous, boring stuff that you don't really want to read about.

However, I am exceedingly grateful for this boring, turkey sandwich, fold-the-same-pair-of-tighty-whities, kind of week.

I am grateful for this little house in the woods, the food that I eat, the clothes that I wear.

I am grateful that I am healthy and strong. That my body ("flaws" and all) is healthy and fit and capable of folding, running, playing.

I am grateful for a small moment to remember what contentedness feels like ~ its peace, its strength.

I know it's easy to be content in plenty.

There was a (short) time years ago, when I had to learn what it was like to be content in want.

Yes, it's easy to be content when your belly is full and your heart is happy.

But I am grateful all the same.

I think sometimes its not plenty or want that makes me forget that I am satisfied with my lot in life.

Its busy-ness.

Its the lack of still, quiet, moments.

Its the rushing through all things.

Its being out of breath... and forgetting how to breathe.

This morning I read my favorite of all Psalms: 116.

Over the course of my life, I have read this chapter over, and over, again.

This morning one verse stood out above all the others...and lingers in my heart as a sweet fragrance, a reminder...to be grateful.

Be at rest once more, O my soul,
for the LORD has been good to you. 
Psalm 116:7

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful verse, one I needed to read today. Contentedness IS full of peace and strength!

Megan O. said...

I think I have the same thought (and probably leave the same comment) every time I read your blog which is I just love your heart. I love the simple way you share deep things. This was a good reminder.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I love the unhurried pace of your week. I've had a similar one and it's been good. It gives my heart a chance to sorta catch up with my mind. Or maybe it's the other way around. Anyway, it's delicious.

His Girl said...

I am so behind on blogreading, but I decided to just pop over to read 'just one'

so glad I did. Gonna 'steal' this scripture- the whole post made me take a big, deep breath.

thank you.

Sandy M. said...

Love this verse! I was thinking today how grateful I am for the 3 charges under my care this week & the wonderful relationship we have. Yes, God HAS been good to me. I decided to set everything aside this week (other than my one day at the USO) to just enjoy them. All the things that need done may have been calling my name, but if they were, I wasn't listening. It has been so much fun & though it requires a lot of energy, it is SO worth it. I'm getting my exercise by being in the pool with them (though I can't keep up with them!) It is satisfying & fun at the same time.
Oh, I think I just wrote a blog... so heading over to my site to post it. Love ya, Sista!

Tracey said...

Love this...needed it even more.

Hugs!

Carpool Queen said...

Beautiful post - You always minister to me by breathing peace into my day -

Cathy said...

You speak to my heart...a lot.

Gretchen said...

Lurve. This. And you.