Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Sounds Cheesy, and Sappy, But it's Oh! So True

Happy Valentines Day!

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails.


The Mister and I love Valentines Day. And we love this scripture above.

You have heard it a thousand times. Whether you read the bible or not. You've heard it at almost every wedding and seen it hanging on walls in framed pictures or in a beautiful hand made needlepoint by your old Aunt Ida.

It's familiar.

Perhaps too familiar.

I had an un-married friend say years ago that Valentines Day should really be called "Singles Awareness Day". At the time I thought it was funny. After all she was "sort of" joking. But then again I could laugh, Valentine's Day hadn't ever been a struggle for me since I met The Mister before I turned 21.


Back then my young mind respected the definition of love from the scripture above. It seemed simple enough. I wanted to be all those things for The Mister. Certainly he wanted to be those things for me. How hard could it be?

Somehow I equated "Love is kind, love is patient" for "love is easy." Oh yeah, and how 'bout "love is pain free".

But today I can look at the familiar passage in 1 Corinthians 13 and be thankful that The Mister doesn't have to place his trust in me to meet all that love requires. It is in Christ that we fully fill up on love. Perfect Love. And in turn we may love others with the love He has given us.

By God's grace he freely gives us His love: which is patient and kind.

As individuals we can daily seek the love of God through reading His love letters to us (The Bible) and fill up on it, so we can lavishly love those around us.

I know that there are times that I will unintentionally fail The Mister. When my words come out less than gentle. When I am feeling impatient because things aren't going my way. When it is Valentines Day and I saved shopping for The Mister until the day of...and the kids woke up with a fever. (Yikes!)

This love of Christ isn't just for old married couples.

It's for singles.

It's for the young.

It's for the old.

It's for you.

You may have heard it shouted on a street corner or seen people on TV that try to make the love of Christ feel cheesy or cliche, maybe, just maybe, even make it feel wrong.

It isn't a box of chocolates, or beautiful jewelry, or a dinner date tonight.

Oh no! It's so much better than those impersonal things, because the Love of Christ is real and it perseveres. It's relational , as close and personal as the sweetest Valentine. It's deep and fulfilling and will satisfy you better than any date or thing ever will. And when you fill up on His love, then everything else is overflow.

So go on! Fill up! And then, for heavens sake, go eat some chocolate! It is Valentines day!

La Vida Dulce!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!! Absolutely!! It is so true!!